Amazon's voice assistant Alexa could be a $10 billion 'mega-hit' by 2020

March 10th, 2017 at 8:45:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I don't know about you, but I have found Google Voice assistant to be a minor convenience. It is easier to send a text than to type on a little phone. So far it isn't really good for research, but useful for simple questions like "What is the temperature?" and "How old is Donald Trump?".
March 10th, 2017 at 9:10:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
So far it isn't really good for research, but useful for simple questions like "What is the temperature?"

The amount total of kinetic energy in the atoms and/or molecules making up a given substance.

Quote:
and "How old is Donald Trump?".

Unfortunately still alive :(
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 11th, 2017 at 5:29:57 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Police have recently used such voice assistant data in murder cases. Police even used one patient's pacemaker data to convict him of arson. Ubiquitous computing has its drawbacks.
March 11th, 2017 at 6:15:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
So far I am really not much on the voice commands for anything. I think it comes from 25+ years of learning how to type search terms for the best results that just speaking is not worth the not as good results. That and voice commands are still kind of an unnatural way to speak.
The President is a fink.
March 11th, 2017 at 8:27:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
So far I am really not much on the voice commands for anything. I think it comes from 25+ years of learning how to type search terms for the best results that just speaking is not worth the not as good results. That and voice commands are still kind of an unnatural way to speak.

I love google voice search on my phone
Just tap and speak. The tiny text buttons not user friendly.
I use it for various searches of easy stuff such what time are the Maryland Terrapins women's basketball is playing
If a correct answer is obvious, I get a voice reply with a display :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"