Gentleman Prefer Blondes: Marilyn Monroe talking to wealthy father of fiancé

July 18th, 2017 at 10:44:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 735
Posts: 8571
Gentleman Prefer Blondes is a screwball comedy famous for the song and dance number "Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend"

One of the most famous bits is the confrontation between (Lorelei) played by Marilyn Monroe and the suspicious father of her fiancé who suspects her of being a gold digger. Her comeback is extremely honest.




Quote: Gentleman Prefer Blondes: Marilyn Monroe talking to wealthy father of fiancé

(Lorelei) That's too bad. l do love him.
(father of fiancé) Certainly. For his money.
(Lorelei)No! Honestly.
(father of fiancé)You expect me to believe that you aren't marrying him for his money?
(Lorelei) lt's true.
(father of fiancé)-Then why do you want to marry him?
(Lorelei) l want to marry him for YOUR money.

(fiancé)-There!
(Lorelei)That's why we need his consent, silly.
(father of fiancé) We're getting down to brass tacks. You admit you're after money.

(Lorelei)No, l don't. Aren't you funny? Don't you know that a rich man is like a pretty girl? You don't marry her just because she's pretty. But, my goodness, doesn't it help? Would you want your daughter to marry a poor man? You'd want her to have the most wonderful things in the world.Why is it wrong for me to want those things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHp3OO0DalE
July 18th, 2017 at 12:02:26 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 50
Posts: 4810
That's when those louses go back to their spouses... diamonds are a girls best friend.

Actually diamond prices are cartel controlled and I think emeralds do better, but ....

I think women want money but don't ignore young, fit and well-equipped males.

Two way street.
July 18th, 2017 at 1:55:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 12
Posts: 2119
Quote: Fleastiff
That's when those louses go back to their spouses... diamonds are a girls best friend.

Actually diamond prices are cartel controlled and I think emeralds do better, but ....

I think women want money but don't ignore young, fit and well-equipped males.

Two way street.
Diamonds are made artificially rare by Debeers diamonds. The Nazi's and the Jews never quit trading South African diamonds continually through ww2.

After ww2 the US continued trading Siberian diamonds with Russia still. There is a special 1/4 carat cut that was/is very popular in the US that was found to be from Russia. Lately Russia announced they were in possession of a trillion carats of diamond found in Siberia. That should have cratered the diamond market.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
July 18th, 2017 at 2:31:00 PM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 38
Posts: 3212
Quote: petroglyph
Diamonds are made artificially rare by Debeers diamonds. The Nazi's and the Jews never quit trading South African diamonds continually through ww2.

After ww2 the US continued trading Siberian diamonds with Russia still. There is a special 1/4 carat cut that was/is very popular in the US that was found to be from Russia. Lately Russia announced they were in possession of a trillion carats of diamond found in Siberia. That should have cratered the diamond market.


Russia aint dumb
As long as DeBeers controls the partial supply on their end, no way Russia floods the market
Diamonds are not that rare. The supply is simply tightly controlled to create high artificial prices
Russia is happy with DeBeers, it makes their stash much more valuable
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 18th, 2017 at 3:40:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 735
Posts: 8571
Quote: Fleastiff
That's when those louses go back to their spouses... diamonds are a girls best friend.


Thalia sings in English but with a Spanish accent



Nicole Kidman does the number for Baz Luhrman
July 18th, 2017 at 6:50:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 110
Posts: 11602
Quote: petroglyph
Russia announced they were in possession of a trillion carats of diamond found in Siberia. That should have cratered the diamond market.


Diamonds are one of the most secretly
regulated commodities in the world.
A huge ripoff for customers because
they are of then marked up 100 times
their actual inflated value.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.