1 vote (33.33%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (33.33%)
2 votes (66.66%)

3 members have voted

September 13th, 2017 at 5:15:55 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Great report Wizard! Will view the YouTube video when I'm not at work.

What is next on the agenda?
September 13th, 2017 at 5:24:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Aussie
Great report Wizard! Will view the YouTube video when I'm not at work.

What is next on the agenda?

Thanks! Nothing on the calendar at the moment. However, I'm thinking of returning to Mexico to do Orizaba (highest point in Mexico) around February.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 13th, 2017 at 6:37:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I read that it is best to climb Orizaba in early season (late September through early November) so that snow can be readily located to melt for water.

Other places say that the climbing season is best from November through March.
September 13th, 2017 at 7:09:45 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
I read that it is best to climb Orizaba in early season (late September through early November) so that snow can be readily located to melt for water.

Other places say that the climbing season is best from November through March.

I should think there would be no shortage of snow at any point in the year. I tend to not drink a lot of water anyway. As I recall from research of my last trip, November to March is the best time. I think the weather is better.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 13th, 2017 at 7:26:22 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: In Memoriam
On Saturday, November 20, 2010, Chris Pruchnic (Haliku) lost his life in an ice-climbing accident in Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park. Haliku was a valued contributor to SP, but his worth went well beyond the pages he created and is missed very much both from friends who have climbed with him, and by anyone who asked him for advice about climbing. I am honored to be able to continue managing this page and I believe it is in the best interest to keep as much of the text Chris wrote intact and that's exactly what I will do. Anything added will be clearly marked and credit will clearly be given to sections written by Chris. Although I never had the chance to meet him, he will be missed and as a member of the climbing community, he will never be forgotten. Written below is a beautiful tribute from one of his long time friends.

He always was willing to give a hand or advice to anyone in anyway that he could, and he always wanted to share his joy of climbing and exploring other cultures with his friends and fellow climbers. The climbing community and the world needs more people like Chris, not less, which makes the tragedy of his early parting so much more difficult to accept. He will live on in our hearts and memories. He and I had been talking about climbing Kilimanjaro soon, and someday when I stand atop that peak I will call Chris' name to honor my friend. --chicagotransplant
Chris Pruchnic wrote these suggested schedules (on Summit Post) before he died.

If you're already acclimated:
Day 1 - Fly into Mexico City, take a taxi to La Tapo, catch a bus to Tlachichuca, find hotel accommodation, purchase food, water and supplies, arrange a ride to the hut in the morning, get a good night rest. I had good luck eating in the market for all meals. Most likely you'll be eating with the locals as well as other climbers, or your lodging will include food.
Day 2 - Catch the ride up to the hut and relax for the afternoon. There are many trails leading above the hut (start of the standard route) you can hike for a bit to loosen the legs from the uncomfortable 2 hour jeep ride.
Day 3 - Summit via the Jamapa Glacier Route and return to the hut by 2pm and catch the ride back to your pre-planned lodging in Tlachichuca. Celebrate with beers!
Day 4 - Return to Mexico City

If you are not acclimated:
Day 1 - Fly into Mexico City, find lodging and walk around the city for a while. Mexico City is quite high and will be good to spend your first night here to begin the acclimatization process. Purchase some last minute supplies like food and water. Arrange a ride to Tlachichuca in the morning, get a good night rest.
Day 2 - Catch a ride to Tlachichuca, explore the town and try some of the local eateries. Find lodging and relax. Schedule your jeep ride to the hut for the next morning.
Day 3 - Take the 2 hour jeep ride to the hut and take a short walk to explore the area around camp. Make base camp, cook a nice meal and drink lots of water. Sleep the night either in the hut or your tent.
Day 4 - Depending on your fitness, you may be able to try for the summit on the 4th day, but it's best to wait another day at camp. Also nice to have a built in bad weather day. You could also move your camp up to the base of the Labyrinth to make the summit day shorter.
Day 5 - Climb to the summit (leave no later than 2-3am) and return to camp. Ideally you would return to the hut by 2-3pm and catch the ride back to Tlachichuca and celebrate.
Day 6 - Return to Mexico City

It is also popular to summit Malinche as a warm up.
September 13th, 2017 at 9:00:53 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
Thanks! Nothing on the calendar at the moment. However, I'm thinking of returning to Mexico to do Orizaba (highest point in Mexico) around February.

Nice one. Look forward to hearing about it.

I won't hijack this thread but an FYI that I have finalised my dates for travel next August and having read more I am close to 100% sure I will attempt Mt Whitney assuming I can get a permit. That may be a problem though as I can only fit it in on a weekend. May have to resort to trawling some hiking forums looking for a spot with another group or something.
September 14th, 2017 at 6:54:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I can't approve of holding a selfie stick and glissading with an ice axe. Good way to have an embarrassing moment caught on "film." .

Idris Elba does an impromptu glissade in this trailer for his new movie, "The Mountain Between us"

Reviews of the movie call it "slight". Seemingly it never gets deeper than what you see on the trailer.
September 19th, 2017 at 9:47:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin

This massive earthquake is about 80 miles from Orizaba, 44 miles from Iztaccíhuatl and 30 miles from Popocatépetl .

Page 4 of 4<1234