Stop changing your oil.

February 19th, 2013 at 2:52:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Sometimes people confuse this with never check your oil level. Which is a still a good idea as the vehicle gets older or in harsh climates if you drive a lot.

Quote:
Oil chemistry and engine technology have evolved tremendously in recent years, but you'd never know it from the quick-change behavior of American car owners. Driven by an outdated 3,000-mile oil change commandment, they are unnecessarily spending millions of dollars and spilling an ocean of contaminated waste oil.

Although the average car's oil change interval is around 7,800 miles — and as high as 20,000 miles in some cars — this wasteful cycle continues largely because the automotive service industry, while fully aware of the technological advances, continues to preach the 3,000-mile gospel as a way to keep the service bays busy. As a result, even the most cautious owners are dumping their engine oil twice as often as their service manuals recommend.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html?mktcat=maintenance-article&kw=stop+changing+your+oil&mktid=ob61762858&msite=w
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 20th, 2013 at 12:44:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
My mechanic, an honest one [I could tell some stories about the others], is definitely still on the 3000 mile thing. I go by my car manuel's recommendation instead and he scolds me sometimes.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 20th, 2013 at 10:45:03 AM permalink
ewjones
Threads: 6
I drive an 07 Honda Civic and it has a digital oil gauge on the dash. It hits 15% close to 6000 miles, so that's when I change it. The mechanic that takes care of always says there's shit I need and I don't believe her.. But I also don't know shit about cars so some of the stuff I do. Of course this is also a Honda dealer so I'm over paying as it is.... Can anyone tell me what "cupping" of the tires is? I'd imagine it would feel almost imperceptibly concave when running your hand over it, but the tires seem fine to me.
February 20th, 2013 at 11:30:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I've been sending my Toyota to the dealership because 1) it's on warranty, 2) the prices charged are reasonable (really!), and 3) they offer valet service at no extra cost (Really! I make a call Monday, they pick up the car on Tuesday morning and bring it back that same afternoon. I give the dealership guy a check and a 50 peso tip, and that's it. What's not to like?)

Of curse those are regular services, not repairs. The car hasn't needed repairs since I bought it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER