Five salaryman ignoring video image

September 16th, 2017 at 1:12:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The missile triggered an automatic alert to all cell phones "Missile alert, missile alert ... please take shelter underground or in a sturdy building."

The guys in this photo are treating the video like it is the latest advertisement for a feminine hygiene product.
September 17th, 2017 at 6:22:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
A wsj article is also indicating South Koreans are getting boy-who-cried-wolf weariness and just going on with their lives.

It does seem logical to say a person would have to be extremely unlucky to be killed by a single missile with a conventional warhead on Hokkaido , while on the other hand a surprise nuclear attack is pretty unthinkable at this point anyway.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 17th, 2017 at 11:29:27 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
There is a good deal of wariness about all these disaster warnings. We are all weary of hearing worst case predictions, even I who suffered one.
September 17th, 2017 at 11:40:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
A wsj article is also indicating South Koreans are getting boy-who-cried-wolf weariness and just going on with their lives.

It does seem logical to say a person would have to be extremely unlucky to be killed by a single missile with a conventional warhead on Hokkaido , while on the other hand a surprise nuclear attack is pretty unthinkable at this point anyway.

If a nuke is coming I'd just crack a beer and wait for the end of my misery.
The President is a fink.
September 17th, 2017 at 12:56:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: odiousgambit

Part of that is just human nature. There is only so much you can do. You could stock some canned goods, keep some water if the streets are impassible. If you are a victim of a direct hit then you just die.

I could see people ignoring the warnings coming over the cell phones. Do you go to the nearest sturdy building and sit for a half an hour, or do you just go about your business and assume it is another fly over?
September 17th, 2017 at 10:48:00 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
The guys in the picture may not be under the flight path of the missle. After 9/11, I recall many "joking" references to the folks who jumped from the WTC. Maybe it was so unthinkable, that it seemed unreal.

I think the people of Japan may feel the same way about a missle strike. It doesn't help that they can only file complaints and hope America keeps its promises.
September 17th, 2017 at 11:54:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Ayecarumba
The guys in the picture may not be under the flight path of the missle.

Almost certain those video screens are in Tokyo, and the missile went over Hokkaido.

The range of this missile launch means that North Korea might launch a missile that flies over Guam

I could imagine the same scene in NYC as businessmen watch a report of a missile flying over Guam.

The latest missile launch also means that North Korea could reach an abandoned coast Guard station on Attu Island in the Aleutians. While there have been no people there for about 7 years, the bombing of a US coast guard station on US soil could have massive symbolic ramifications.
September 18th, 2017 at 3:57:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
When the Japanese invaded Attu and Kiska in WWtwo the response could have been:
Leave them there.
Send a fireboat to give them even more ice to deal with.
Treat it as US Soil and attack in strength.

I think nuking an empty Coast Guard relic would prompt an immediate and large scale response.
September 18th, 2017 at 5:25:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff

I think nuking an empty Coast Guard relic would prompt an immediate and large scale response.

Anything on USA Soil would have to, otherwise how would it look?

I don't see it happening in the end. The guy is insane but not stupid. OTOH we may already be talking with China about how NK would be whacked up after a conflict.
The President is a fink.
September 18th, 2017 at 6:17:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff

I wasn't thinking of a nuke.

I was comparing (A) launching a missile over Guam's airspace or (B) Hitting Attu with a conventional warhead