Beyond Earth : our path to a new home in the planets / Charles P. Wohlforth and Amanda R. Hendrix, P

October 28th, 2017 at 10:52:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
• Presents a chronicle of the developments and initiatives that have transformed the idea of space colonization into an achievable goal, sharing arguments in favor of targeting Saturn's moon, Titan.
• "From a leading planetary scientist and an award-winning science writer, a propulsive account of the developments and initiatives that have transformed the dream of space colonization into something that may well be achievable. We are at the cusp of a golden age in space science, as increasingly more entrepreneurs--Elon Musk, Richard Branson, Jeff Bezos--are seduced by the commercial potential of human access to space. But Beyond Earth does not offer another wide-eyed technology fantasy: instead, it is grounded not only in the human capacity for invention and the appeal of adventure but also in the bureaucratic, political, and scientific realities that present obstacles to space travel--realities that have hampered NASA'S efforts ever since the Challenger disaster.

Temperatures on the moon are very hot in the daytime, about 100 degrees C. At night, the lunar surface gets as cold as minus 173 degrees C.

Despite having a volume 330% of the Moon's volume and a Mass 182.9% Moon's mass, Titan still has a surface gravity 85% of Moon's. Although the surface temperature is minus 179.5°C (-291.1°F) or the same as the Moon at night, in Beyond Earth, Charles Wohlforth and Amanda R. Hendrix offer groundbreaking research and argue persuasively that Titan--a moon of Saturn with a nitrogen atmosphere, a weather cycle, and an inexhaustible supply of cheap energy, is where we will even be able to fly like birds in the minimal gravitational field--offers the most realistic and thrilling prospect of life without support from Earth."
October 28th, 2017 at 1:12:10 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Jupiter's Europa moon is also an interesting future colonization prospect. For one thing the Wikipedia pages says "Evidence suggests that hydrogen peroxide is abundant across much of the surface of Europa. Because hydrogen peroxide decays into oxygen and water when combined with liquid water, ... it could be an important energy supply for simple life forms." And an oxygen supply for colonists. There is actually an abundance of liquid water there, generated by tidal stress [I think] and that alone has scientists really wondering about possible life.

I would like to see us try to go there before Titan since there is that possibility for the discovery of life outside our planet. Selfishly perhaps, I prefer a concentration on the search for extraterrestrial life since I believe it might be found in my lifetime. Colonization? I might see the plans or some initial preparation but I do not think I will see the reality.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 28th, 2017 at 1:30:52 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Humans can't handle living on a very friendly Earth very well. How are they ever going to handle an unbelievably hostile planet? I can just see EB and ams288 living in peaceful bliss together in the same 200 sq. ft. life support chamber. ams-Hey EB "it's your turn to walk the dog". EB- "funk you, It's minus 700 degrees out there, walk the damn dog yourself."
October 28th, 2017 at 1:32:24 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
"Or just uber the stupid thing down to the doggie park"
October 28th, 2017 at 2:09:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I put it on my reading list.

In "Imperial Earth," Clarke tells the story of the youngest clone of Titan's ruling family.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 29th, 2017 at 3:11:40 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
what are the three objects in that picture? There should be a better image of Titan if the orange thing is supposed to be Titan, Cassini orbited it close enough to "taste" the atmosphere.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 30th, 2017 at 3:48:55 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
what are the three objects in that picture?

This photo is an official NASA image of Titan in natural color. The thick atmosphere is orange due to a dense organonitrogen haze.

View of the surface (January 2005 Huygen's probe)