Cat Crap

March 29th, 2013 at 2:26:57 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
I recently went to my local optician to get new regular glasses and sunglasses. While I was waiting, I wandered around looking at the various frames and accessories on display. The following product caught my eye because of its unusual name:

I don't understand why it was named Cat Crap, but at least it wasn't a box of chocolates or Tootsie Roll-type candies.
March 29th, 2013 at 8:14:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Production facilities
March 29th, 2013 at 8:36:17 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: JB
...I don't understand why it was named Cat Crap, but at least it wasn't a box of chocolates or Tootsie Roll-type candies.

Hehe... The manufacturer, EK Ekcessories, was founded in the mid 80's by Ed Kalbach, a ski bum in Utah. The "Cat" line of stuff were among his early products, initially intended to go with "Cateye" style sunglasses that were popular at the time. The real hit for him was the immediate popularity of his, "Cat Strap" eyewear retainer cords, but the Cat Crap anti-fog, did well too, (and continues to do well today.)

March 29th, 2013 at 7:26:04 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
My girlfriend uses this stuff on her ski goggles.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
April 2nd, 2013 at 10:30:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Ask her if the ingredients are listed. Its probably just the use of a catch name to sell a very inexpensive product such as potato extract. I believe that is what is recommended for the inside of a scuba mask: a raw potato or raw apple or something like that. Decades ago there was a guy selling eyeglass cleaner on NYC sidewalks. A small foil-wrapped cube for a dollar. If you bought a few of them and looked closely you could see the cubes came from a bar of Ivory soap.

Jessica Mitford's expose of California Fat Farms showed that the major ingredient in the body rubs was cat litter. She spotted a janitorial closet filled with hundred pound sacks of the stuff and there were no cats in evidence so she approached the janitor with a bottle of booze in her hand and quickly learned the truth. The fat farm would have never let her in if she had applied under the name of Mitford since it was too well associated with muck raking journalism, so she simply applied under her married name which happened to quite similar to a famous millionaire's name. I imagine the Ojai Valley has changed in the meantime but I wonder if the Fat Farm industry is pretty much the same or has grown in size and profitability. Probably its grown. Every remote cabin can offer bean sprouts and call itself a "retreat". Hang some wind chimes up, display a sixties peace sign, ... and you are well on your way to having a Fat Farm or a Detox Center, whichever gets you more money.