Polygamy without religion

Page 1 of 212>
March 29th, 2013 at 5:26:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Do you think it's easy to make a case for polygamy without invoking the approval of a diety?

Example:

"Sandy I love you. But I love Kristen too. So, I thought maybe instead of just proposing to one of you, I marry both of you. Have sex with you both. And if in a couple years, I see a 17 year old cutie and lust love her, than I'll marry her too! How about it? Sounds good?"

I mean, it works for me.

But so much easier to say, "God wants you to join me and Marsha, Tonya, Jennfer, and Mia in a holy approved marriage."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 29th, 2013 at 6:02:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Most of the PolyAmory sites are non-religious and have no desire to reach out to those who are religious.

Many people live with multiple sex partners particularly when they separate sex and love. Often there are financial incentives, social incentives. Many people feel that certain acts over time will be taking place anyway so they might as well acknowledge them and accept the likelihood of such events taking place.

Variety and non-possessory sex are driving forces, but many polygamous marriages are based simply on the economics and economies of scale. Most women cook dinner each night, polygamous wives often cook only once or twice a week. Its not all that much extra effort to make twenty pounds of mashed potatoes than it is to make five pounds.
March 29th, 2013 at 7:19:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Polygamy vs polyamory
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 29th, 2013 at 7:37:09 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine

The rank abuse of advertisements on that page caused me to close it after I tried to pause the 2nd auto-playing video ad and instead the ad increased in size and kept playing.

But anyway, I dated a girl who was into polyamory for about 6 months. She was married and I was friends with her and her husband. We had sex and it wasn't weird, I swear. It ended after the relationship had run its course, and we're still friends to this day. Most people are weirded out by this, for good reason. It was fun and I don't regret it.

Perhaps not coincidentally, they're divorced now. I'm still friends with both of them.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
March 29th, 2013 at 7:55:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AcesAndEights

The rank abuse of advertisements on that page caused me to close it after I tried to pause the 2nd auto-playing video ad and instead the ad increased in size and kept playing.

heh, sorry about that -- have no control over what a site decides to do to visitors.

Anyway my point was, polyamory in general is probably more woman-friendly in its options. Trying to convince a bunch of women to become wives who aren't going to share lovers is likely less attractive, and that would be the general setup for polygamy. It's more a men's game (IMO). Take the god commandment out, and it just seems like horny guy glory situation.
March 29th, 2013 at 8:42:23 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Do you think it's easy to make a case for polygamy without invoking the approval of a diety?

Example:

"Sandy I love you. But I love Kristen too. So, I thought maybe instead of just proposing to one of you, I marry both of you. Have sex with you both. And if in a couple years, I see a 17 year old cutie and lust love her, than I'll marry her too! How about it? Sounds good?"

I mean, it works for me.

But so much easier to say, "God wants you to join me and Marsha, Tonya, Jennfer, and Mia in a holy approved marriage."

Hire 1 guy and then find out you have to pay health insurance for his 100 wives etc. Meanwhile the 100 wives have 100 daughters who get raped. It seems like I'm making an absurd argument, but when you consider the male/female imbalances in India and all these rape stories, not so much. Like what not to do in gambling, your original premise is looking at the short term, but not the long term. Plus Zeus would never let you get away with it. You are making a mistake thinking because the basis as you see it is false, the conclusion is also false.
This may help http://www.theskepticsguide.org/resources/logicalfallacies.aspx
March 29th, 2013 at 9:50:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Wait...what?

I'm familiar with logical fallacies, but I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to.

Look up tongue in cheek . I'm not actually intending to propose in the rigor of an academic thesis here. It's more for amusement.
March 30th, 2013 at 9:16:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Depending on how the SCOTUS rules this summer we may soon have it in the USA.
The President is a fink.
March 30th, 2013 at 10:15:56 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
game over then man
March 30th, 2013 at 4:30:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Needless to say things that work for one person are not necessarily an excuse to put a practice nto law.

I do not believe that any nation that sanctions polygamy lets you have wives for different purposes. You can't have one for taking care of the kids, one for cooking, one to take out with your boss, and another for the bedroom. There are strict laws in Saudi Arabia that are set up so all wives (up to 4) are treated equally. I don't think most younger generation has multiple wives.
Page 1 of 212>