China's Belt and Road Initiative

March 25th, 2019 at 7:52:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

President Xi is pushing this idea in yesterday's visit to Italy.

Complete with song with young Chinese musicians.
March 26th, 2019 at 2:47:59 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
peace in the middle east might just maybe, just possibly, kinda seems like, well, might be needed
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 26th, 2019 at 3:53:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
peace in the middle east might just maybe, just possibly, kinda seems like, well, might be needed

Come on. A transit road going thru Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, and Turkey. What on earth could go wrong? Seems like going from NJ to Chicago via the turnpike system.
The President is a fink.
March 26th, 2019 at 7:52:23 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
There’s something to be said about economic pressure keeping the peace. Having a highway go through the middle of your desert is an artery of cash that will bring it to life. Good business makes good neighbors.
March 27th, 2019 at 5:28:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
There’s something to be said about economic pressure keeping the peace. Having a highway go through the middle of your desert is an artery of cash that will bring it to life. Good business makes good neighbors.

Thomas L. Friedman (born July 20, 1953) published as an opinion piece in The New York Times in December 1996, the Golden Arches Theory of Conflict Prevention which states "No two countries that both had McDonald's had fought a war against each other since each got its McDonald's." or when a country has reached an economic development where it has a middle class strong enough to support a McDonald's network, it will not be interested in fighting wars anymore.

I learned an alternative theory in southern Mexico. I took an overnight bus from the main city in Oaxaca to the main beach resort (~150 miles). I couldn't believe a state of 3 million people couldn't build a road. But the locals believe that roads are the means by which urban society rapes indigeneous culture living in rural society. Roads carry more raw materials out of a country than they bring in useful development.
March 28th, 2019 at 8:36:52 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Pacomartin
Thomas L. Friedman (born July 20, 1953) published as an opinion piece in The New York Times in December 1996, the Golden Arches Theory of Conflict Prevention which states "No two countries that both had McDonald's had fought a war against each other since each got its McDonald's." or when a country has reached an economic development where it has a middle class strong enough to support a McDonald's network, it will not be interested in fighting wars anymore.

I learned an alternative theory in southern Mexico. I took an overnight bus from the main city in Oaxaca to the main beach resort (~150 miles). I couldn't believe a state of 3 million people couldn't build a road. But the locals believe that roads are the means by which urban society rapes indigeneous culture living in rural society. Roads carry more raw materials out of a country than they bring in useful development.

Isolation works for small tribes staying under the radar of their more developed neighbors... until they get annexed. Isolation didn’t work for China, Japan nor the USA. World powers have to engage their neighbors to keep them from becoming colonies of their competitors, and surpassing them in wealth and technology. If Mexico thought they could get away with annexing everything within two miles of the Colorado river to secure the water, would they?