burial in a mushroom suit

Page 2 of 2<12
May 6th, 2019 at 11:38:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
You could conceivably be unconscious after certain injuries.

So, if you did wake, it would be pitch black, extremely quiet if you're deep enough, and possibly extremely hot. If you're packed inside a closed box your own body would heat it up. I assume CO2 buildup would soon take you back out permanently if you weren't dying already from injury. Meanwhile ENJOY!

My estimates are you would last at most 2 hours at rest in a casket, given 1/4 of a cubic foot of O2 per minute and a 31 cubic foot casket. That does not allow for the space of the body. If a person was awake to scratch they would for sure increase the 02 burn rate, how much not sure. You would pass out long before the last of the O2 was gone.

I file the scratch marks under urban legend.
The President is a fink.
May 6th, 2019 at 2:10:21 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I don't reckon pine boxes are all that air tight. And O2 does exist underground, not to mention how loose the recently turned soil would be.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 6th, 2019 at 2:30:11 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: AZDuffman
My estimates are you would last at most 2 hours at rest in a casket, given 1/4 of a cubic foot of O2 per minute and a 31 cubic foot casket. That does not allow for the space of the body. If a person was awake to scratch they would for sure increase the 02 burn rate, how much not sure. You would pass out long before the last of the O2 was gone.

I file the scratch marks under urban legend.

Snopes.com confirms that it has happened (well, the buried alive part of the story), and has a bunch of accounts, including this sad chiller:
Quote: snopes.com
... In the 1850s a young girl visiting Edisto Island, South Carolina, died of diphtheria. She was quickly interred in a local family’s mausoleum because it was feared the disease might otherwise spread. When one of the family’s sons died in the Civil War, the tomb was opened to admit him. A tiny skeleton was found on the floor just behind the door.
May 6th, 2019 at 3:28:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Face
I don't reckon pine boxes are all that air tight. And O2 does exist underground, not to mention how loose the recently turned soil would be.

I'm going to go suggest the buried pine coffin challenge on a youtube and see how many kids start trying it.

eh, just kidding. We know some probably would.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 6th, 2019 at 3:48:56 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Personally, I want to buried in a polyster leisure suit that keeps me going for a few years.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 6th, 2019 at 3:49:23 PM permalink
AZDuffman

Still talking very, very little flow. Just as important, CO2 must get out. It does not take as high a CO2 concentration as people think to knock someone out. 100% is an instant kill. Used to know the ratios more when I was a PCO.
The President is a fink.
May 6th, 2019 at 5:02:47 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
Still talking very, very little flow. Just as important, CO2 must get out. It does not take as high a CO2 concentration as people think to knock someone out. 100% is an instant kill. Used to know the ratios more when I was a PCO.

15% for disorientation, 18% for unconsciousness.

Just watched Apollo 13 =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 6th, 2019 at 5:25:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
15% for disorientation, 18% for unconsciousness.

Just watched Apollo 13 =p

That seems to jive with what I remember from good grief 20 years ago!
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 2<12