1 vote (16.66%)
4 votes (66.66%)
1 vote (16.66%)

6 members have voted

May 2nd, 2013 at 3:17:11 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
I go with option #1 because my greatest skill is playing people. It gives me that maximum potential to work a scam.
Very good thinking and a refreshing viewpoint to take, however, implicit in the situation is a need to "lie low". It seems that there are people looking for you, powerful and numerous. The slightest contact with family or friends and you will be turned in for some sort of reward. So I would think that if you start scamming people you would be in trouble. The people you meet, your would be marks, might turn you in. The people you successfully scammed might start gripeing to the wrong people. Face it, you no longer travel in the "right circles" to meet moneyed-victims anyway. And you are too skinned to pull it off, no matter how great your people skills are. Glad handing salesmen you might have been, but now you are going to be living like a hermit because now everytime you stick your hand out to greet someone you are exposing yourself to grave danger. People skills may have served you well in the past but now people represent danger. Scamming them would be similar to nailing your own coffin.
May 3rd, 2013 at 12:46:05 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: Fleastiff
Number One.
Twenty Acres.
Sounds virtually useless but you can always dig underground and even have subterranean gardens, pleasant temperatures, etc.
See: Fresno Underground Gardens and Baldasieri for what can be done with just a pick and muck pole while living underground without a wife.
The gold mines are probably useless... mines produce ore ... how you going to mill it? Live on nuggets? You is going to attract attention of locals if you start trying to pay for your tobaccy with a pinch!

Heavily forested land is useless if you clear cut it, the truck won't last and the timber won't last either. Then you got five acres of clear cut that attracts the enmity of your neighbors and the EPA types. If you only "thin" it, how do you get your trees to a sawmill and just how much do you think even good lumber sells for these days?

If there is anyone around who will be collecting rent for that dock, he will fine you for your improper fishing equipment. The subsistence fisherman option has to be where he will be the El Jefe who collects rent from locals.

Sounds pretty good thinking.

Who do I need to point the finger at? This deal sounds too good to be true.
May 3rd, 2013 at 12:51:11 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I think I would pick #2 though because forests provide animals and plants to eat. Plus, if you have 5 acres, there are other forests nearby which you could use to gather food if you needed it. Trespassing not be a big deal, because chances are nobody would ever be around to even know what you're doing.
May 3rd, 2013 at 1:00:02 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Who do I need to point the finger at? This deal sounds too good to be true.
It seems Ayecarumba is offering these options to you, but it also seems that the voting is going overwhelmingly to lumberjack option which to me seems a short-lived and low income option and leaves you very soon facing a de-nuded landscape with no where to hide from unfriendly visitors from your past, no where to hide from unfriendly local visitors and nothing to eat once all the lumber is gone even if you have no visitors at all.

At least the underground gardens in Fresno, CA have lasted as a moderately successful tourist site until now when the threat from nearby road construction is very high. Small lumber plots proved financially useless in the Pacific Northwest, spotted owl or not. Subsistence fisherman sounds interesting until you realize that El Jefe collecting the rent will probably wind up owning your boat.

Underground sites such as mines make good wine storage places, good internet cloud room locations and as long as you trek a far piece afore spending any gold dust, its possible to work a gold mine for awhile.
Page 2 of 2<12