Page 4 of 7<1234567>
August 10th, 2021 at 4:08:45 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
I just tried a Harlan Coben book
Maybe I picked up his worst book
I don't know
The 1st few chapters setting up the story just seemed so absurd I actually gave up. I lost interest due to its absurdity
Myron Bolitor, top point guard college, blows out knee and becomes a sports agent. Book starts 10 years later, NBA team signs him as a player to do detective work to find a missing player. Not really play but find a player. But they sign him as a player and have a press conference. I bailed before the press conference.
I'm a huge sports fan and the premise just seemed dumb.

Reading Winter World by A G Riddle
So far really good
I read his Sci fi Atlantis Gene trilogy and loved it
This is another Sci fi trilogy
I liked these books by Coban: /Deal Breaker, Gone for good, Drop shot, No second chance, Just one look, Darkest Fear, The woods, Back Spin, The innocent, Promise me, The final Detail, Tell no one, One false move, and Long lost.

I haven't been reading books lately. I enjoyed those.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/harlan-coben/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 10th, 2021 at 5:11:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
I liked these books by Coban: /Deal Breaker, Gone for good, Drop shot, No second chance, Just one look, Darkest Fear, The woods, Back Spin, The innocent, Promise me, The final Detail, Tell no one, One false move, and Long lost.

Those could be titles to Jack Reacher books. Lee Child uses titles that are two and three words just like this author does. Never go back, Killing Floor, tripwire, Blue Moon, Midnight line, the enemy, 18 hours, one shot, night school, die trying.

I'm reading Papa Hemingway again. AE Hotchner knew Hemingway from 1947 to 1961 and he wrote this book in 1966. He recently died at a 101. His best friend was Paul Newman, of all people, because they lived near each other in Connecticut.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 10th, 2021 at 8:13:03 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I really enjoyed the old Reacher books, but Cruise kind of ruined it for me.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 10th, 2021 at 8:25:56 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I totally agree
I love all the Reacher books
Cruise ain't Reacher. Kind of absurd.
I still read Lee Child but I have a totally different physique in mind when picturing Reacher
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 10th, 2021 at 8:31:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I enjoy the Tom Cruise Reacher movie because I don't look at him as Jack Reacher. Reacher is 6 ft 5 250 lb. Tom Cruise is 5 foot 6 155 pounds. I just enjoy the movie for what it is
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 11th, 2021 at 10:11:06 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I also like the Reacher books and similar ones. I haven't seen the movies so I can't compare.

What other series should I look for that is similar? I have read the Patterson books. I need to start a new series.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 11th, 2021 at 11:14:33 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: DRich
What other series should I look for that is similar? I have read the Patterson books. I need to start a new series.

Authors whose series I've enjoyed:

Preston & Child: mystery/thriller

John Ringo: sci fi
August 11th, 2021 at 11:23:01 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee

Thank you. I was thinking specifically about detective novels like the Reacher series. I would not read a sci-fi book if I you offered to pay me.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 11th, 2021 at 11:30:40 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: missedhervee

Read all the Det Penderghast books. Fun reads.
will have to look into John Ringo
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 11th, 2021 at 11:32:02 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: DRich
Thank you. I was thinking specifically about detective novels like the Reacher series. I would not read a sci-fi book if I you offered to pay me.

Michael Connelly
I've read all his books
Good stuff
Page 4 of 7<1234567>