Stimulus

April 16th, 2020 at 4:39:05 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: DRich
Like I said I applaud you, I tend to choose quality and price over nationalism.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I see now that my reply was a preachy list and the last line rather negative.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 16th, 2020 at 5:26:48 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Dalex64
Really? No, I blame their business practices. You put other businesses in there, with better practices, and there would be over 400,000 more jobs.

You can also take 90 Billion in Walmart China purchases, and buy more us products than the 250 Million they have pledged to buy within 5 or 10 years.

So yes, I will not support "big businesses like Walmart" and I do not shop there.

Dalex, let me ask you this.... The reason Walmart has cost 400,000 jobs is because..... they can do the SAME job with 400,000 less people doing it. If you owned a small business, how many employees would you hire? Answer... the fewest necessary to do the job. Do you disagree? So Walmart set out to sell as much stuff as possible with the fewest number of employees possible, correct? Explain to me what they should be doing if not that?

As far as the lament that 'good paying manufacturing jobs are all going overseas' or something like that' if you had a company and needed 1,000 employees to build the widget, would you go to the country you could pay them $5 an hour and $1 an hour in benefits, or the union shop here paying $25 an hour plus $5 an hour in benefits?

I've asked this before. Lets say a new robot is invented, and it only cost $1,000 to make the robot, and that robot can replace 10 workers at your factory, is that a good invention?
April 16th, 2020 at 5:36:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
Dalex, let me ask you this.... The reason Walmart has cost 400,000 jobs is because..... they can do the SAME job with 400,000 less people doing it. If you owned a small business, how many employees would you hire? Answer... the fewest necessary to do the job. Do you disagree? So Walmart set out to sell as much stuff as possible with the fewest number of employees possible, correct? Explain to me what they should be doing if not that?

As far as the lament that 'good paying manufacturing jobs are all going overseas' or something like that' if you had a company and needed 1,000 employees to build the widget, would you go to the country you could pay them $5 an hour and $1 an hour in benefits, or the union shop here paying $25 an hour plus $5 an hour in benefits?

I've asked this before. Lets say a new robot is invented, and it only cost $1,000 to make the robot, and that robot can replace 10 workers at your factory, is that a good invention?
Is it ok for low wage workers to purchase medicines directly from Mexico, Canada or India?

Everybody votes their own pocketbook.

Walmart couldn't pay their employees so little, if taxpayers weren't subsidizing the low wages with EBT and Medicare.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 16th, 2020 at 5:53:47 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3

You have a whole bunch of hypotheticals and specific situations in there that I am not going to even try to answer, and in particular I am not going to go down the rabbit hole of business philosophy and just who or what a business is supposed to benefit.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 16th, 2020 at 5:55:43 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: petroglyph
Is it ok for low wage workers to purchase medicines directly from Mexico, Canada or India?

Everybody votes their own pocketbook.

Walmart couldn't pay their employees so little, if taxpayers weren't subsidizing the low wages with EBT and Medicare.

I would be for anyone being allowed to buy their prescriptions from foreign countries.

Walmart responds to one of two forces. They will pay their workers as little as possible such that they will still have enough and good enough workers. Sometimes, the wage may be artificially set by minimum wage laws, or the repercussions from them.
April 16th, 2020 at 6:15:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I would be for anyone being allowed to buy their prescriptions from foreign countries.

How about right out of medical school and a glut of foreign anesthesiologists taking all your work for less? Well, when you weren't retired.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 16th, 2020 at 6:24:07 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
How about right out of medical school and a glut of foreign anesthesiologists taking all your work for less? Well, when you weren't retired.

I mean it already happens. People routinely go to Latin America for cheaper surgeries (often cosmetic). Medical travel is getting even more common.
April 16th, 2020 at 7:16:56 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: rxwine

Absolutely. If they can pass the same tests, get the credentials, then why not? Assuming of course they have legally immigrated to the USA. When I first started there WAS a glut of anesthesiologists! My first job was quite lowly paid compared to a decade later when there was a shortage. Supply and demand. My only fear is an artificial constraint on the salary, which a dominant single payer would cause. "We are the government, and we decided that anesthesiologist make $150k, take it or leave it."

In general, I am for a free market setting wages.
April 16th, 2020 at 7:19:34 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Gandler
I mean it already happens. People routinely go to Latin America for cheaper surgeries (often cosmetic). Medical travel is getting even more common.

What do you mean by 'routinely'? Like maybe 0.1% of all surgeries on American citizens who reside in the USA?

You don't have enough money to pay me to go have a surgery in Latin America......
April 16th, 2020 at 7:22:32 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Dalex64
You have a whole bunch of hypotheticals and specific situations in there that I am not going to even try to answer, and in particular I am not going to go down the rabbit hole of business philosophy and just who or what a business is supposed to benefit.

I'll take that as "I have no answer for you. Sorry..."

A business benefits its customers..... or it wouldn't have customers.
A business benefits its workers.... or it wouldn't have workers.
A business benefits its owners, or it wouldn't exist.

Easy rabbit hole to get down into, and out of....