Never Have I Ever

May 6th, 2020 at 5:44:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Mindy Kaling's new Netflix series, "Never Have I Ever" named after the drinking game is an excellent coming of age about a 15-year-old Tamil Indian girl named Devi raised in California seeking to improve her social status as she enters 10th grade (8 months after her father dies).

In real life, Mindy Kaling lost her mother at the age of 25 the same day she received the news that Fox was picking up her TV series, The Mindy Project

I really liked this series as it is both funny and very emotional. One character, a Down Syndrome teen, is unique in that her Down Syndrome is not her defining characteristic. Some female critics liked the fact that the show is not afraid to show horny 15-year-old girls.

Of course, the actor chosen to portray the object of Devi's pursuit is almost 11 years older than the actress who plays Devi. Although there is a long history of actors and actresses who around the age of 30 playing high school kids on TV series, I still think that they are pushing boundaries a little hard.

In PA someone who is having sex with a 15-year-old that is 11 years younger than him is guilty of not a second-degree felony, but a first-degree felony.

Quote: PA state law
Statutory sexual assault includes sexual intercourse (including genital, oral, or anal penetration, however slight) with a child who 13, 14, or 15, when: the defendant is between four and ten years older than the victim (a second-degree felony), and the defendant is at least 11 years older than the victim (a first-degree felony).

Given that this show will be seen by tens of millions of teen girls, wouldn't it be prudent to pick a love interest who looks to be roughly the same age?
May 6th, 2020 at 9:17:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

Given that this show will be seen by tens of millions of teen girls, wouldn't it be prudent to pick a love interest who looks to be roughly the same age?

Ha ha, you're funny. The Nflix show
Outer Banks has HS kids who are
in their mid 20's, the lead character
in 27. 'Prudent', they don't do prudent.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 6th, 2020 at 11:32:05 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
you would think in the age of #me too ... oh never mind

how do you play the drinking game?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 7th, 2020 at 2:18:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
how do you play the drinking game?

Obviously you can provoke people by saying "Never Have I Ever... had @n@l sex" presuming you have not. Then everyone in the room that did have that type of sex must drink.

"Never Have I Ever" with Sheldon and Amy. The game is not much fun if the questions are benign and nobody has ever done anything.

The episode titles are not really indicative of a drinking game.
"Never Have I Ever... had sex with Paxton Hall-Yoshida"
"Never Have I Ever... gotten drunk with the popular kids"
"Never Have I Ever... felt super Indian"
"Never Have I Ever... started a nuclear war"
"Never Have I Ever... been the loneliest boy in the world"
"Never Have I Ever... been a big, fat liar"
"Never Have I Ever... pissed off everyone I know"
"Never Have I Ever... had to be on my best behavior"
"Never Have I Ever... said I'm sorry"
May 7th, 2020 at 4:32:24 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154