Space Force

Page 1 of 41234>
May 9th, 2020 at 1:19:22 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This is not about The Office directly but I decided to post it here as it is similarly styled and made by the same team.

Space Force is an upcoming Netflix series that will be about the new Space Force and the new Chief (Steve Carrell).

It will be a workplace Comedy with a similar style to The Office. It is unclear if it will have the documentary style that The Office had.

The first season releases on 29MAY2020 (all 10 episodes will release at once as Netflix usually does).

I am looking forward to it, I hope that it can capture the classic feel of the Officer with a modern twist. There is only one official trailer that I can find (see below).
I like The Office writers and I like Steve Carrell so I have faith that this will be an enjoyable show.

And, maybe if it continues past its initial season it can also tie into current events from the real life Space Force and artfully portray a comedic style to some of the challenges that it currently exhibits.
I don't want to make this post too political, but I will just say, I am a huge fan of the Space Force, and think that it is one of Trump's better ideas, so I am hoping that this show besides being enjoyable, will bring more attention to the new military branch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdpYpulGCKc

Actual Space Force Recruiting ad for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ud7wgbBBnY
May 9th, 2020 at 3:01:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I can't believe the real Space Force took so long.

As to the series maybe watch maybe not.
The President is a fink.
May 9th, 2020 at 5:19:12 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The science fiction from the 1950s, at least the movies, all assumed the military would be in charge of space exploration. Then came NASA. And now we may be going back to military control of it after all.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 9th, 2020 at 5:23:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
The science fiction from the 1950s, at least the movies, all assumed the military would be in charge of space exploration. Then came NASA. And now we may be going back to military control of it after all.

They don't generally advertise it but...

Quote:
NASA works on cybersecurity, launches satellites and other payloads for the military and other government agencies, monitors ballistic missile launches and orbiting satellites and runs a military GPS system.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 9th, 2020 at 6:15:03 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: odiousgambit

The Space Force is basically the Airforce. If you join off of the street you go through Airforce basic training, and Airforce job training. You even join through an Airforce recruiter. The Space Force does not yet have its own entry and training infrastructure.

Basically all space related AF jobs were transferred to the Space Force. For now it is basically the airforce still (your tape just says "Space Force" instead of "Airforce". I predict that it will become more independent as its budget grows and more time passes. Its still under the Department of the Airforce (like how the Marines is under Department of the Navy), but far less autonomy than the Marines have (again this will change with time, as they have time to make Space Force bootcamp and training pipelines for various programs).

But, the point is, the military has already been heavily involved in Space (the Airforce), basically the Space Force just scooped space related stuff in the Airforce and made a new branch under the same department. I predict it will grow in strength as space becomes more relevant (and more commercialized).
May 10th, 2020 at 4:45:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
The Space Force is basically the Airforce. If you join off of the street you go through Airforce basic training, and Airforce job training. You even join through an Airforce recruiter. The Space Force does not yet have its own entry and training infrastructure.

The model would be the Army Air Corps. We might do well to call it the "Space and Cyber Force" perhaps finding a word for "cyber" that will stand the test of time better. People do not realize the Surgeon General leads a military branch. We have one other unconventional force of I forget which.
The President is a fink.
May 10th, 2020 at 8:50:31 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
The model would be the Army Air Corps. We might do well to call it the "Space and Cyber Force" perhaps finding a word for "cyber" that will stand the test of time better. People do not realize the Surgeon General leads a military branch. We have one other unconventional force of I forget which.

Not quite.

There are Eight Unfirmed Service, they are broken down into two categories : Armed Forces (Military) and Non-Armed Uniformed Services.

The non-Armed Uniformed Services include two branches: The U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS), and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps (NOAA). They both wear uniforms (NOAA wears a combo of Coast Guard and Navy uniforms with different tags of course as does the USPHS) and are paid on the military pay chart based on a members rank.

The Surgeon General is the head of the USPHS and is equivalent to a three star (Vice Admiral), for some reason that I do not understand the Surgeon General is no longer a four star (Admiral). And, despite the misleading title he/she is actually an Admiral and wear naval or coast guard uniforms.
There are not combat branches (hence they are non-Armed). Though they often support the military in science and health roles. (Both branches are very science based as you can tell by the name). I believe the bootcamp for both is actually the Coast Guard Academy in CT (don't quote me on that).

The Armed Forces (military) is the other category of Uniformed Services: Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Space Force, Marines, Space Force.

The Surgeon General leads a non military Uniformed Service (and is actually an Admiral).
May 10th, 2020 at 9:07:20 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

s to the series maybe watch maybe not.

Have you ever seen Steve Correll
in anything that was remotely good?
I stopped watching The Office
after season 3 because he's such
a talentless hack..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 10th, 2020 at 11:51:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Have you ever seen Steve Correll
in anything that was remotely good?
I stopped watching The Office
after season 3 because he's such
a talentless hack..

He plays a good part in "The Big Short."
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2020 at 7:35:03 PM permalink
Gandler

Official Flag released:
"The official flag of the Space Force is derived from key and central elements of the seal of the United States Space Force, presented on a black field fringed in platinum with the words “United States Space Force” and Roman numerals MMXIX (2019) below the seal. "

President Trump unveils the Official Flag of the United States Space Force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiLn_w_lL_s

This is another great step for America. Also, an excellent Flag and emblem.
Page 1 of 41234>