Music+Sex+Politics+Cultural Iconography

May 11th, 2020 at 3:46:01 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Nathalie Cardone (born 29 March 1967 in Pau, Pyrénées-Atlantiques) is a French actress and singer. I assume this video was made when she was about age 30.
"Hasta Siempre, Comandante," ("Until Forever, Commander") is a 1965 song by Cuban composer Carlos Puebla. The song's lyrics are a reply to revolutionary Che Guevara's farewell letter when he left Cuba, in order to foster revolution in the Congo and later Bolivia. Che was killed in Bolivia on 9 October 1967. Guevara was shot nine times by Mario Terán, a 27-year-old sergeant in the Bolivian army. This included five times in his legs, once in the right shoulder and arm, and once in the chest and throat.

Nathalie brings considerably more sex appeal to the song than the song's author, Carlos Manuel Puebla.
May 11th, 2020 at 8:49:51 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I don't speak Spanish so I can't claim to understand the lyrics or the meaning. I can say it sounds pleasant as to the music itself, I tend to enjoy Spanish Music.

But, I fear it is more of the trend of glorifying Guevara. Not a good person. And, I don't understand why he is so glorified on the left.

Again, I don't know the lyrics translated, and I am unfamiliar with the letter you mention in your post. I am just skeptical of this barrage of glory people seem to be giving Guevara.... Not a good person...
May 12th, 2020 at 12:04:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Gandler
Again, I don't know the lyrics translated, and I am unfamiliar with the letter you mention in your post.

The singer has nothing to do with Cuba, nor does she seem interested in the revolution. She just wanted a hit song.

We learned to love you
from the historical heights
where the sun of your bravery
laid siege to death
Chorus:
Here lies the clear,
dear transparency
of your beloved presence,
Commander Che Guevara
Your glorious and strong hand
over History it shoots
when all of Santa Clara
awakens to see you (Your glorious efforts throughout history resound like gunfire awakening Santa Clara.)
[Chorus]
You come burning the breeze
with springtime suns
to plant the flag
with the light of your smile
[Chorus]
Your revolutionary love
leads you to new undertaking
where they are waiting for the firmness
of your liberating arm
[Chorus]
We will carry on
as we followed you then
and with Fidel we say to you:
"Until forever, Commander!"
Fidel:

At this moment I remember many things: when I met you in Maria Antonia's house, when you proposed I come along, all the tensions involved in the preparations. One day they came by and asked who should be notified in case of death, and the real possibility of it struck us all. Later we knew it was true, that in a revolution one wins or dies (if it is a real one). Many comrades fell along the way to victory.

Today everything has a less dramatic tone, because we are more mature, but the event repeats itself. I feel that I have fulfilled the part of my duty that tied me to the Cuban revolution in its territory, and I say farewell to you, to the comrades, to your people, who now are mine.

I formally resign my positions in the leadership of the party, my post as minister, my rank of commander, and my Cuban citizenship. Nothing legal binds me to Cuba. The only ties are of another nature — those that cannot be broken as can appointments to posts.

Reviewing my past life, I believe I have worked with sufficient integrity and dedication to consolidate the revolutionary triumph. My only serious failing was not having had more confidence in you from the first moments in the Sierra Maestra, and not having understood quickly enough your qualities as a leader and a revolutionary.

I have lived magnificent days, and at your side I felt the pride of belonging to our people in the brilliant yet sad days of the Caribbean [Missile] crisis. Seldom has a statesman been more brilliant as you were in those days. I am also proud of having followed you without hesitation, of having identified with your way of thinking and of seeing and appraising dangers and principles.

Other nations of the world summon my modest efforts of assistance. I can do that which is denied you due to your responsibility as the head of Cuba, and the time has come for us to part.

You should know that I do so with a mixture of joy and sorrow. I leave here the purest of my hopes as a builder and the dearest of those I hold dear. And I leave a people who received me as a son. That wounds a part of my spirit. I carry to new battlefronts the faith that you taught me, the revolutionary spirit of my people, the feeling of fulfilling the most sacred of duties: to fight against imperialism wherever it may be. This is a source of strength, and more than heals the deepest of wounds.

I state once more that I free Cuba from all responsibility, except that which stems from its example. If my final hour finds me under other skies, my last thought will be of this people and especially of you. I am grateful for your teaching and your example, to which I shall try to be faithful up to the final consequences of my acts.

I have always been identified with the foreign policy of our revolution, and I continue to be. Wherever I am, I will feel the responsibility of being a Cuban revolutionary, and I shall behave as such. I am not sorry that I leave nothing material to my wife and children; I am happy it is that way. I ask nothing for them, as the state will provide them with enough to live on and receive an education.

I would have many things to say to you and to our people, but I feel they are unnecessary. Words cannot express what I would like them to, and there is no point in scribbling pages.