Hyphenated Americans @ turn of 19th century

August 2nd, 2020 at 5:56:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

This cartoon is labeled "Why should I let these freaks cast a whole vote, when they are only half-American?"

Quote: Teddy Roosevelt speech in 1915

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all ...

The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic ...

There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

It's interesting that the hyphenated-American went from a huge insult to a badge of honor. Some people say that the phrase "African-American" only received widespread acceptance when Jesse Jackson used the phrase in his second run for President in 1988 .
August 2nd, 2020 at 6:00:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

It's interesting that the hyphenated-American went from a huge insult to a badge of honor. Some people say that the phrase "African-American" only received widespread acceptance when Jesse Jackson used the phrase in his second run for President in 1988 .

I love to laugh at the media when someone from Africa or even say France who is black and the media calls them "African American" out of PC. Once some TV station said it about a Miss South Africa. Phones at station lit up to tell them their mistake.
The President is a fink.
August 2nd, 2020 at 7:49:16 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
I love to laugh at the media when someone from Africa or even say France who is black and the media calls them "African American" out of PC. Once some TV station said it about a Miss South Africa. Phones at station lit up to tell them their mistake.

And a caucasian South African who is now a naturalized American citizen is also technically an "African-American". Good luck when they check that box to get into college....
October 7th, 2020 at 9:01:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
TEXAS HAD EDUCATED, PUBLIC SPIRITTED PEOPLE BUT NARY A PAPER IN EGLISH.

MANY GROUPS PRETEDED A DIFFERENT BACKGROUND; RECALL PERHAPS MY LONG AGO OST ON THE MAN WHO SAID HE WAS GREEK TO AVOID LATRINE/LAUNDRY DUTY IN THE US-NAVY.