It's clear that non Black Ethnicities deaths by Police get far less outrage.

December 23rd, 2020 at 3:08:38 PM permalink
Starburger
Threads: 6
I remember a few years ago near my job when there seemed to have been an unusual amount of traffic. It turns out, some Hispanic 18 year old named Michael Lopez or something like that had been killed by Cops for spray painting a Business. Apparently, the Cops told the "Artist," to drop his spray paint, and he continued to vandalize the business. The Cops tazed him to death. Peaceful protests literally happened for about a few hours and the death was reported on the news. The very next day, everything went back to normal like it never happened. I can't even find this tragedy on Google.

My Co-worker the next day mentioned that she felt that yes, the 18 year old boy was wrong for vandalising a business with Graffiti, and not stopping when told by Cops to stop, but felt that them tazing someone to death who wasn't even armed with a deadly weapon and only had a spray paint can was completely out of line for the Cops to do.Contrast the hours long peaceful protest of this 18 year old Hispanic boy to the lengthy Riots of when Black People get killed by Police. It's clear that Black people get far more outrage when they are killed by Cops over Non Black Ethnicities.
One man's offense is another man's humor.
December 23rd, 2020 at 3:36:41 PM permalink
HotDog
Threads: 0
Maybe if non-black ethnicities protested more, it would draw even more attention to police brutality. That's why they get away with it so much.
December 23rd, 2020 at 3:47:52 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2020 at 4:22:02 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Starburger
I remember a few years ago near my job when there seemed to have been an unusual amount of traffic. It turns out, some Hispanic 18 year old named Michael Lopez or something like that had been killed by Cops for spray painting a Business. Apparently, the Cops told the "Artist," to drop his spray paint, and he continued to vandalize the business. The Cops tazed him to death. Peaceful protests literally happened for about a few hours and the death was reported on the news. The very next day, everything went back to normal like it never happened. I can't even find this tragedy on Google.

My Co-worker the next day mentioned that she felt that yes, the 18 year old boy was wrong for vandalising a business with Graffiti, and not stopping when told by Cops to stop, but felt that them tazing someone to death who wasn't even armed with a deadly weapon and only had a spray paint can was completely out of line for the Cops to do.Contrast the hours long peaceful protest of this 18 year old Hispanic boy to the lengthy Riots of when Black People get killed by Police. It's clear that Black people get far more outrage when they are killed by Cops over Non Black Ethnicities.

Do you have a link to this story?

I have a feeling there is far more than this post contains. Also, you don't really get "tazed to death" if it fails, they may fire another taser until subdued, I am guessing this triggered some kind of heart condition?

This is what I can find when googling "spray painter tazed to death" :
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/23/miami-beach-officer-taser-death-teenage-graffiti-artist-not-charged

It sounds like he was hit once during a footchase and died

' Miami-Dade state attorney Katharine Fernandez Rundle said no charges were possible after a medical examiner ruled the 6 August 2013 death of 18-year-old Israel “Reefa” Hernandez-Llach was accidental and a lengthy investigation found Miami Beach officer Jorge Mercado acted properly. '

I don't see how race is any way relevant (also he is not "black" he was Hispanic, and in the picture he looks "white" IMO). He was spray painting a building, got 911 called on him, resisted, ran, and was eventually tased. Its pretty standard, just a tragic outcome. I don't understand the point that you are trying to make?

Your quote : "It's clear that Black people get far more outrage when they are killed by Cops over Non Black Ethnicities."

I guess? It also depends on the circumstance. If the killing was clearly unjustified there should be outrage. I would argue that many BLM "protest worthy " killings are justified (Michael Brown to take a massive example), and that the perception is wrong because of the narrative portrayed. For some perverse reason BLM seem to get more upset about clearly justified killings than killings that are clearly misconduct (my suspicion is because BLM's main goal is to sow division so they love gray areas where they can get people to attack each other over simple facts.....) I am not a fan of BLM. But, I am a huge fan of equal rights. I probably have the unpopular opinion that BLM polarizes people of both sides and causes unnecessary division.

Though this year I have seen plenty of snobby whites protesting outside the homes of police (which is beyond obnoxious and even BLM does not do that) after somebody got a ticket for being in a park when closed due to COVID, so maybe its a lower bar for white communities to be offended by police action (which was also justified)..... The bottom line is people don't like following the rules and will try to turn it into a personal victim game when it effects them whether it be a COVID issue or a physical confrontation....
December 23rd, 2020 at 5:12:15 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
actually it seems to me that the notion that the grievances of black Americans are to be given priority and... what... uncritical acceptance? ... is rapidly going away now that the election is over and they are no longer needed.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 23rd, 2020 at 5:40:48 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288

What does this have to do with this thread? As I read this at my local Walgreens dreaming of warmer days in Miami, I just have that weird feeling that this posters style reminds me of someone from our past..... just can’t put a finger on it....