Merry Christmas trivia

Page 2 of 4<1234>
December 24th, 2020 at 1:54:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: FrGamble
Merry Christmas everyone! Following the lead of the Wiz here is a few trivia questions for ya:

1. What does the name Bethlehem mean?

Beth’s French roast

2. From which house or tribe of Israel do the prophets Nathan, Isaiah, and others say the Messiah will come from?
Last house on the left.
3. What does the Immaculate Conception refer to?

A shocked husband

4. Who is the forerunner of Jesus and whose prophetic spirit is he said to have?

John the beheaded
5. Was Jesus' place of birth a cave or a manger?

A manger in a cave
6. How long is the Christmas season? What is the end of the Christmas season?
Thanksgiving to New Years

7. What special Feast Days are celebrated the three days immediately after Christmas?

Leftovers
8. What is the first Sunday after Christmas called?

Back to work day
9. What are the three gifts the Magi bring and what are their significance?

The Magi cian?

10. Who are Mary's

Still waiting on DNA
11. What does Emmanuel mean?

No one reads them.

12. Which prophet predicts a Virgin birth?

Nostrildamus?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 24th, 2020 at 2:58:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: HotDog
I bet you're a blast at parties.

Tupperware parties? I'm a riot, I love
Tupperware..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 24th, 2020 at 3:08:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: FrGamble
I think Paco is in the lead so far with 3.5 answers correct.

I don't think I supplied enough of an answer about the "Immaculate Conception". I said it referred to "Mary's conception" , but to be more accurate it means that Mary was conceived and born without "original sin". Christianity rejects the idea of "tabula rosa" or that we are born as a blank slate.

The doctrine of original sin has little basis in the Bible but it was first referred to in the 3rd century. The concept of "original sin" obviously has a long history in theology, but the essence is we are born to sin.

The doctrine of "Immaculate conception" is a major division point between Catholics and Protestants.

Anglo-Catholicism comprises people, beliefs and practices within Anglicanism that emphasise the Catholic heritage and identity of the various Anglican churches. The term Anglo-Catholic was coined in the early 19th century. Anglo Catholics have the option of believing in the Immaculate conception, but it is not dogma.
December 24th, 2020 at 3:25:47 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
A myth, lots of virgin births in mythology....

Merry Christmas, EB.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 24th, 2020 at 5:06:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
When I was a kid we had Xmas
plays in grade school. I kinda
knew the story, but I thought
her name was Virgin Mary,
I had no idea what a virgin
was and nobody explained
it. These were the days when
the Church wouldn't allow
the word pregnant on TV
and married couples had
to sleep in separate beds.
The Vatican was terrified we
might picture Lucy and Ricky having
sex and would all go straight
to hell.

So fat chance of anybody
explaining what a virgin was
to an 8 year old in 1957. I had
no idea what sex was, so virgin
was just a word to me.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 24th, 2020 at 10:01:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I don't think we know if Jesus was born in a cave. The church of the Nativity is built over a cave which has been believed to have been the birthplace of Jesus since 2nd century.

December 24th, 2020 at 11:50:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
I don't think we know if Jesus was born in a cave.g]

"The matter of the inn with “no room” is one of the most historically misunderstood aspects of the Christmas story. ACU scholar Stephen Carlson writes that the word “kataluma” (often translated “inn”) refers to guest quarters. Most likely, Joseph and Mary stayed with family but the guest room was too small for childbirth and hence Mary gave birth in the main room of the house where animal mangers could also be found."

https://theconversation.com/what-history-really-tells-us-about-the-birth-of-jesus-89444
December 25th, 2020 at 3:36:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Definition of 'Higher Criticism' ... "the study of the literary methods and sources discernible in a text, especially as applied to biblical writings." [from https://languages.oup.com/ ]

Example of Higher Criticism, this time regarding Noah and the Ark: "It was common practice in the ancient world to use an event (or memory of an event) and retell it in a figurative way to communicate a message to the hearers. There is good scriptural and historical evidence that the Flood story is an interpretation of an actual historical event retold in the rhetoric and theology of ancient Israel. The Genesis account is one of many stories of catastrophic floods in the ancient world, including the Babylonian epic of Gilgamesh, which bears striking similarities to the story of the Flood."     https://biologos.org/common-questions/how-should-we-interpret-the-genesis-flood-account/

Example of Barstool-Scholar Criticism: "Why is Mary still referred to as a virgin when she had a 
bunch of other kids besides Jesus. Odds of her being a virgin when Jesus was born are zero."
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 25th, 2020 at 3:53:55 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
A similar nice and short Higher Criticism of the Nativity of Jesus seems a little harder to find, about as good as anything is in Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativity_of_Jesus#Critical_analysis

hmmm you don't seem to find there anything like: Mary a virgin? har har har!

real scholars are too stuck up I guess
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 25th, 2020 at 4:43:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
"The matter of the inn with “no room” is one of the most historically misunderstood aspects of the Christmas story. ACU scholar Stephen Carlson writes that the word “kataluma” (often translated “inn”) refers to guest quarters. Most likely, Joseph and Mary stayed with family but the guest room was too small for childbirth and hence Mary gave birth in the main room of the house where animal mangers could also be found."

Exactly. A joke a few years ago was Joseph should have guaranteed the room with his American Express card. But I tend to doubt they even had many "hotels" at the time. Those that did exist would have been more close to a youth hostel of today. And they would have probably been men only.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 4<1234>