Congressman Cohen Will Introduce Resolution to Abolish the Electoral College

January 12th, 2021 at 8:35:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 995
Posts: 11670
The memphis area elected an African American congressmen, Harold Ford in 1974 and then his son in 1996. In 2006 Harold Ford Jr lost a race for Tennessee Senate. In 2006 Steve Cohen was one of the first white congressmen elected to represent a district that was majority African American, when he defeated a second son of Harold Ford. Steve Cohen has won his 8th election to congress.

Upon election to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2006, Congressman Cohen, immediately distinguished himself on the Hill for his thoughtful legislation and quick wit. He also quickly earned a reputation as a champion of civil rights and justice on the highly influential Judiciary Committee, with then-Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi referring to him as the “conscience of the freshman class” in 2008. That same year, he was instrumental in passing the first-of-its-kind House resolution apologizing for the enslavement and racial segregation of African Americans.

Congressman Cohen Will Introduce Resolution to Abolish the Electoral College
January 12th, 2021 at 9:46:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Member since: Oct 28, 2012
Threads: 115
Posts: 3009
I assume he knows that the elimination of the electoral college would mean the two coasts elect the President ... he represents Tenn. That OK in TN?
Beware of Old Wive's Tales. And you better watch what your younger wives are saying too.
January 12th, 2021 at 10:42:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 129
Posts: 13890
Quote: Pacomartin
The memphis area elected an African American congressmen, Harold Ford in 1974 and then his son in 1996. In 2006 Harold Ford Jr lost a race for Tennessee Senate. In 2006 Steve Cohen was one of the first white congressmen elected to represent a district that was majority African American, when he defeated a second son of Harold Ford. Steve Cohen has won his 8th election to congress.

Upon election to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2006, Congressman Cohen, immediately distinguished himself on the Hill for his thoughtful legislation and quick wit. He also quickly earned a reputation as a champion of civil rights and justice on the highly influential Judiciary Committee, with then-Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi referring to him as the “conscience of the freshman class” in 2008. That same year, he was instrumental in passing the first-of-its-kind House resolution apologizing for the enslavement and racial segregation of African Americans.

Congressman Cohen Will Introduce Resolution to Abolish the Electoral College


Hillary Clinton did the same when she was first elected. It gets proposed all the time. It is not happening.
Who is John Galt?
January 12th, 2021 at 11:14:48 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Member since: Feb 19, 2014
Threads: 17
Posts: 2638
Quote: odiousgambit
I assume he knows that the elimination of the electoral college would mean the two coasts elect the President ... he represents Tenn. That OK in TN?


OMG.... he DOES NOT represent Tennessee! He represents his Congressional District in Tennessee. And yes, the members of HIS district i would surmise would be happy if the winner of NY and California automatically become President.


As far as the resolution.... it is the usual Democrat wanting to impress his party wasting time tactic. He would need Republican support, and he will not get it.
January 12th, 2021 at 12:03:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 995
Posts: 11670
Quote: SOOPOO
As far as the resolution.... it is the usual Democrat wanting to impress his party wasting time tactic. He would need Republican support, and he will not get it.


There is no wide spread support for passing a constitutional amendment to eliminate the Electoral college in either party.

The consititution does not tell the states how to assign their votes. In the 19th century it was often done by state congressional vote and not by popular vote. All states are free to follow the lead of Nebraska and Maine and let individual congressional districts have a vote.

The "all or nothing" method of determining electoral college votes was the decision of each state to maximize the attention they could get from candidates.