sneaky old tin man

Page 2 of 2<12
February 17th, 2021 at 2:34:41 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I never thought much about that, but interesting observation.

The Lion was already untying the rope when Toto jumped out, followed by Dorothy. However, the Tin Man hadn't even started yet. I suppose if the whole scene went off as planned, that it could be explained as a scheme by the two of them to keep Dorothy in Oz, probably conceived by the Scarecrow and his degree in think-ology. This would include planting the woman with the cat.

Looking at it from a more critical angle, I think the timing of the scene got screwed up and they untied the balloon too late, especially the Tin Man. I suppose the director didn't want to reshoot a scene involving hundreds of extras and a hot air balloon. Being the cheap bastard the I am, I don't blame him.

Speaking of errors in the Wizard of Oz, has anyone else noticed the Scarecrow gets the Pythagorean formula wrong in this scene?

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCOxU2rKLas
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 17th, 2021 at 4:54:48 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Anyone ever notice how the Scarecrow randomly has a gun in one scene?

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 17th, 2021 at 7:24:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ams288
Anyone ever notice how the Scarecrow randomly has a gun in one scene?

Oh oh, now you have me looking up trivia.

Quote:
"For the movie 'The Wizard of Oz,' Judy Garland was paid $35 a week while Toto received $125 a week."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 17th, 2021 at 8:02:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
TV and filmakers probably didn't think much about viewers using slow motion,

That people would one day be able
to watch and manipulate any movie
in their homes was an unknown
concept in 1939. In the 1930's and
most of the 40's 90% of Americans
saw at least one movie a week. In
the big cities where there were
lots of theaters some went 3-4
times a week. It was how it was
always going to be, they thought.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 18th, 2021 at 3:00:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Wizard

Speaking of errors in the Wizard of Oz, has anyone else noticed the Scarecrow gets the Pythagorean formula wrong in this scene?
Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCOxU2rKLas
It always sounded like gibberish to me, but I have to confess I wasn't sure. I knew it wasn't the Pythagorean, but maybe some other formula that I should have picked up in Geometry class and didn't somehow. So I'd say the joke might have been on me if someone had asked if it was a true formula. I have to think it was kind of an inside joke with the writers that it was gibberish.

As Bob notes, back then you were kind of helpless to check it out. All you knew was the scarecrow came out with something, too fast to even write down, which you wouldn't have been doing anyway.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 19th, 2021 at 8:35:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard

Subject of a major geeky youtube analysis which secured over 2 million views.
Page 2 of 2<12