Political division" the beginning of the end?

Page 2 of 3<123>
July 8th, 2021 at 12:32:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Well, people thinking Kamala was chosen on something besides gender and skin color is a bunch of laughs.

I don't think that even Kamala thinks choosing her was not based on gender and skin color. She just thinks she was the best dark woman for the job.
July 8th, 2021 at 1:06:32 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Pacomartin
I don't think that even Kamala thinks choosing her was not based on gender and skin color. She just thinks she was the best dark woman for the job.

Yup. Many Dems were more excited to vote for Harris as VP than another boring old white guy for president. It worked. They won.

VP is never about “most qualified.” It’s always about who helps fill out the ticket best.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 8th, 2021 at 1:20:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Probably. I cannot imagine being a minority and knowing you were picked on skin color. Back in the 70s when TV shows usually had a "lesson" embedded they discussed that happening. As a straight white male you at least know you were not hired to make some kind of quota.
The President is a fink.
July 8th, 2021 at 1:42:48 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Probably. I cannot imagine being a minority and knowing you were picked on skin color. Back in the 70s when TV shows usually had a "lesson" embedded they discussed that happening. As a straight white male you at least know you were not hired to make some kind of quota.

There was a time early in my career that I suspect I was favored for a promotion over some H-1B engineers by a bigoted boss. Can’t know for sure. I didn't think so at the time. The suspicion grew years later as I got to know the boss better. Looking back, I feel a little uncomfortable about it but just a little. I have been kicked around unfairly enough times, I'll take good fortune when it comes.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 8th, 2021 at 1:49:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: JimRockford
There was a time early in my career that I suspect I was favored for a promotion over some H-1B engineers by a bigoted boss. Can’t know for sure.

Some people claim there was "white affirmative action years ago" in the form of of discrimination. But that is not really valid since 80%+ of the population was white just a few decades ago. That is effectively all there was. Starting in the 70s they outright said, "we need to hire X blacks" or women or whatever.

We had a branch that should have been the most prestigious to run but an inexperienced black woman ended up running it. She had a reputation of being very unprofessional and disorganized. I forget if she was fired or what but they made sure to check the same EEOC boxes for her replacement. We were once told to outright look for minority candidates for management though never given a quota at our level.
The President is a fink.
July 8th, 2021 at 2:52:43 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96

Good thing you didn't describe her as being "black."

Like Obama before her, neither is black, they're of mixed race.

Also note that both of them seem to "act" and "talk" white.

Will this country ever elevate a black man or woman to the top of the heap?

We haven't yet.
July 8th, 2021 at 2:59:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: missedhervee

Also note that both of them seem to "act" and "talk" white.

What on earth does that mean?
The President is a fink.
July 8th, 2021 at 5:04:25 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
What on earth does that mean?

C'mon, man.

Are you really that sheltered?

Generally speaking it is clear to me when a person speaking is black, as opposed to white.

Inflection, grammar, slang ... it's typically unique and different from whites.

It seems the difference may be narrowing a bit but when you listen to a black guy or girl at a BLM riot speaking it is clear from what they say and how they say it that they are black.

Hello, ebonics.
July 8th, 2021 at 5:22:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: missedhervee
C'mon, man.

Are you really that sheltered?

Generally speaking it is clear to me when a person speaking is black, as opposed to white.

Inflection, grammar, slang ... it's typically unique and different from whites.

It seems the difference may be narrowing a bit but when you listen to a black guy or girl at a BLM riot speaking it is clear from what they say and how they say it that they are black.

Hello, ebonics.

I knew what you meant, I wanted to see it said. But here is the thing, it is not "talking white." It is "Talking proper."

You do not see Asians or Hispanics talking their own thing. An accent to be sure, but they try to talk proper. They will not put up with their kids talking that way. That some white people want to imitate it is just awful.

The President is a fink.
July 9th, 2021 at 3:09:32 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I knew what you meant, I wanted to see it said. But here is the thing, it is not "talking white." It is "Talking proper."

You do not see Asians or Hispanics talking their own thing. An accent to be sure, but they try to talk proper. They will not put up with their kids talking that way. That some white people want to imitate it is just awful.

(Link removed, unnecessary)

Talking Proper = Speaking Properly---in case anyone needed a translation.

When modifying a verb, such as, "Speak," or, "Talk," you want to use an adverb. Proper is an adjective that would modify a noun, so one might say, "You can tell by the way he speaks that he is proper."
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
Page 2 of 3<123>