Is Portland over?

September 19th, 2022 at 3:25:26 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
Most cities don't report their true crime statistics. Even the never believable FBI didn't bother to publish their never believable uniform crime statistics this year, because even they admit the stats are false and under reported.

These rates are definitely not reliable, but this site compares crime rates between American cities.

Who cares. Go out and enjoy American cities
Statistics are meaningless.
This is an incredibly safe country to travel around
That's solid reality from my very extensive experience
I was all over Jackson MS due to the Mississippi Blues Trail. Spent days in Portland. Visited Hard core pawn in Detroit.
I'm a big fan of urban areas
It's where all the cool stuff is
I've visited just about every urban center in this country
I marvel at how safe it is to visit all the wonderful cities in this great country.
I'm having the best time of my life the last 2 years traveling all over this really safe country.
In 2 years of full time RVing, not a single crime against me.
Currently in Charleston SC
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 19th, 2022 at 6:56:32 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Quote: Tanko
Most cities don't report their true crime statistics. Even the never believable FBI didn't bother to publish their never believable uniform crime statistics this year, because even they admit the stats are false and under reported.

These rates are definitely not reliable, but this site compares crime rates between American cities.

Who cares. Go out and enjoy American cities
Statistics are meaningless.
This is an incredibly safe country to travel around
That's solid reality from my very extensive experience
I was all over Jackson MS due to the Mississippi Blues Trail. Spent days in Portland. Visited Hard core pawn in Detroit.
I'm a big fan of urban areas
It's where all the cool stuff is
I've visited just about every urban center in this country
I marvel at how safe it is to visit all the wonderful cities in this great country.
I'm having the best time of my life the last 2 years traveling all over this really safe country.
In 2 years of full time RVing, not a single crime against me.
Currently in Charleston SC

I’ll make you a $100 bet. I pick the one square mile area in Buffalo where you park your RV, and you go for a leisurely walk after sunset. I will bet you that either you or your RV are the victim of a crime! Same bet goes for Williamsville. But I’ll take the other side. You can park for 7 days and 7 strolls and no crime!

But as long as you avoid the ‘bad’ parts of most cities, I do agree, we do live in a generally safe time in history in a generally safe area.
September 19th, 2022 at 8:02:42 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Why do they need to return to downtown offices?
Let them do the work from home
I had a home office before I retired
I loved working from home

I am the opposite. I prefer to work at an office as I think I am more productive.

The hardest part of working from home for me is the lack of socialization. Both my wife and I work from home and we seem to rarely go out of the house. We will go to the grocery store once a week but other than that we probably leave the house once a week to go out to dinner. I miss other people,
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 21st, 2022 at 6:09:02 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: DRich
The hardest part of working from home for me is the lack of socialization. .... I miss other people,

Humans need socialization and interaction. So many working from home, Manhattan offices remain at 38% capacity.

Pharmacist friend says he's filling more anti-depressant and anti-anxiety med prescriptions than ever.
September 21st, 2022 at 10:37:07 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Interesting video by a Portland biker who tracked a stolen motorcycle to a massive Portland homeless camp which was a huge chop shop.

Hundreds of stolen vehicles found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVSE5ivddqY
September 26th, 2022 at 12:40:19 AM permalink
missedhervee
"It's the little things that keep you going."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imd-wnJYVHw
September 27th, 2022 at 3:53:44 PM permalink
missedhervee
Some things never change: Portland protester in the Great Depression.

September 29th, 2022 at 6:37:57 PM permalink
missedhervee
"Brazen"

Reporter interviews homeless couple who then break into the reporter's car and steal everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SK9AMFNDBw
September 29th, 2022 at 9:01:21 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
"Brazen"

Reporter interviews homeless couple who then break into the reporter's car and steal everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SK9AMFNDBw

WTF
They didn't get it on videotape
Embarrassing
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 10th, 2022 at 3:34:46 PM permalink
missedhervee