2 seasons of six episodes and a Christmas Special

October 26th, 2012 at 10:16:51 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Perfect format for TV.

Too many sitcoms descend into the characters becoming narrow caricatures, or episodes about what if's when the character is taken out of the narrow confines. This can be amusing for a while, but in the end, sitcoms have characters that don't seem to develop... they reduce. Community was doing this by end of the 3rd season. Red Dwarf is a classic for it.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 26th, 2012 at 6:11:11 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I would generally agree with that, but Red Dwarf had no less than five (5) excellent seasons. Since you're a fan of the show, what was your favorite episode? Mine was, "Quarantine."
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 27th, 2012 at 4:42:04 AM permalink
johnnyq
Threads: 1
Quote: Mission146
but Red Dwarf had no less than five (5) excellent seasons.

Never heard of that one. Thank goodness for google, I guess.
But we do have NETFLIX, so I might be able to stream a few
episodes and see what it is all about. SCI-FI, clearly, right ?
October 27th, 2012 at 5:55:59 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: johnnyq
Never heard of that one. Thank goodness for google, I guess.
But we do have NETFLIX, so I might be able to stream a few
episodes and see what it is all about. SCI-FI, clearly, right ?

I don't know that Red Dwarf is back on Netflix yet. I understand that, earlier this year, Netflix had some kind of problem with the distributor and the result was Red Dwarf no longer being on Netflix. That was back in March. It is a Sci-Fi Space Comedy, just make sure you are in, "Find immature things funny," mood when you watch it...otherwise you'll just think it's stupid.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 29th, 2012 at 10:24:57 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Mission146
I would generally agree with that, but Red Dwarf had no less than five (5) excellent seasons. Since you're a fan of the show, what was your favorite episode? Mine was, "Quarantine."

Yep, Red Dwarf is an exception... but the UK does have the advantage of shorter seasons... pretty much you could have had two US seasons of Red Dwarf and be done, and people would complain the second season wasn't as good as the first (season 8 is pretty weak, but enjoyable enough like an old friend).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 28th, 2013 at 8:20:20 PM permalink
ewjones
Threads: 6
Quote: TheCesspit
Perfect format for TV.

Too many sitcoms descend into the characters becoming narrow caricatures, or episodes about what if's when the character is taken out of the narrow confines. This can be amusing for a while, but in the end, sitcoms have characters that don't seem to develop... they reduce. Community was doing this by end of the 3rd season. Red Dwarf is a classic for it.

That's exactly what happened with Friends. I think it was the tenth season, Phoebe tries to teach French to Joey for a part but all he's saying is jibberish, like what a five year old might do if they're trying to guess the language. Might be funny for one scene but they just kept going with it for the whole episode. Soooo annoying and NOT funny.
March 29th, 2013 at 8:29:57 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
6 episodes of a season is just their way of trying to make more money off the one guy still buying DVDs and Bluerays.
March 29th, 2013 at 4:48:17 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
6 episodes of a season is just their way of trying to make more money off the one guy still buying DVDs and Bluerays.

Nope. A season IS six to eight episodes. Not for DVDs. TV budgets are smaller in UK, but also slightly more guranteed. Allows more experimental ideas, I think.

I like to call it a series though. You might get two series in a year for hit TV, with the second series being a bit longer.
March 29th, 2013 at 5:15:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
Nope. A season IS six to eight episodes. Not for DVDs. TV budgets are smaller in UK, but also slightly more guranteed. Allows more experimental ideas, I think.

I like to call it a series though. You might get two series in a year for hit TV, with the second series being a bit longer.

Episodes is a British–American sitcom which premiered on Showtime and on BBC Two in January 2011. It is considered to vulgar to show on (over the air) or terrestrial TV in the USA. Showtime is premium channel which usually means you must have cable and pay $5-$15 a month to add it on. They made 7 episodes in the first year and 9 in the second year.

The writers are a British couple lured to America with the promise of big bucks to convert their show to an American format. They are promised full artistic control (which of course is BS). Their main character, played by a fictional version of Richard Griffiths is recast by a fictional version of Matt LeBlanc.

The need to make 236 episodes of Friends for the American and worldwide audience is a point that comes up early in the show. The titles of the series is partly a play on the need to crank out so many episodes for an American TV series.

If you haven't seen it, the show is hysterical as this nice happy British couple is torn apart by the Hollywood sharks.
April 3rd, 2019 at 2:00:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Finally got around to watching the
Office UK. It's hilarious, way funnier
than the US version. Ricky Gervais
is more of a jerk than the Michael
version. And the Dwight character
is more off his rocker than Dwight.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.