January 19th, 2022 at 11:17:41 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://news.yahoo.com/gorsuch-writes-scathing-dissent-church-214940558.html

I hope Gorsuch gets his way
Everybody's home can be a church
No more taxes
Personal religions will rule the country

Sarcasm. WTF is Gorsuch thinking. Turning out to be a real religious kook. He's actually demanding everybody in the country can get a religious exemption simply because he is a religious fanatic.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 31st, 2023 at 8:07:50 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: missedhervee
I wonder what percentage of church goers genuinely believe all the stuff their chosen religion espouses?

For example, there's an evangelical Chinese christian church near me: I wonder how many attend due to personal beliefs vs. how many attend mainly for the social benefits of mixing / connecting?

I bet at least half the church goers have some degree of ambivalence as to the doctrine / dogma, and attend mainly for social reasons.

A church can be thought of as a support system (birth, marriage, death, etc.).

Similar to other support systems, like a friend network, parents and/or relatives, AA and/or NA, message board, etc.

To access a power greater than our self.

There's another aspect for physical Christian churches.

It is called the Body of Christ.

Membership in the Body of Christ entails permanently receiving the Holy Spirit.

Not all Christians are members but all members are Christian.

It is an invisible Church, not a physical church.

We share the Holy Spirit but we are not physically marked where normal eyes can see.

Body of Christ members could be considered devout, but we are not necessarily associated with a physical church.

Body of Christ members never leave Church.
Page 3 of 3<123