Was I being rude and wrong to ask Friends I was treating with Comps to help pay for tax and tip?

Page 1 of 212>
Poll
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (50%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (50%)

2 members have voted

March 21st, 2022 at 6:31:08 PM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
So, I had $300 in Comps at a Restaurant and I invited five Good Friends to use my Comps with me. We all had a good time, until the bill came and I asked my Friends to pitch in for tax and tip when bill came to the table and not before dinner about $386 with tax and tip. . All hell broke loose when they got mad at me for asking them to help pay for tax and tip. They told me I should pay the $86 for tax and tip since I was the one treating. I argued that common courtesy would be to at least pitch in for tax and tip when being treated. They claimed they didn't bring any money since they assumed I would pay for tax and tip. It became clear they weren't going to at, so I begrudgingly and reluctantly paid the entire tax and tip and didn't get thanked for my Comps or paying the whole tax and tip myself since they were resentful of me asking for them to pitch in for tax and tip in the first place. They pointed out today that they would have paid the tax and tip if I told them I wanted them to pitch in for tax and tip before dinner, preferably when inviting them to dinner in the first place, apologized for being sour to me and paid me portions of the tax and tip minus my portion of course. But was I wrong and rude to ask them to pitch in for tax and tip in the first place?
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
March 21st, 2022 at 8:54:05 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Riverjordan
So, I had $300 in Comps at a Restaurant and I invited five Good Friends to use my Comps with me. We all had a good time, until the bill came and I asked my Friends to pitch in for tax and tip when bill came to the table and not before dinner about $386 with tax and tip. . All hell broke loose when they got mad at me for asking them to help pay for tax and tip. They told me I should pay the $86 for tax and tip since I was the one treating. I argued that common courtesy would be to at least pitch in for tax and tip when being treated. They claimed they didn't bring any money since they assumed I would pay for tax and tip. It became clear they weren't going to at, so I begrudgingly and reluctantly paid the entire tax and tip and didn't get thanked for my Comps or paying the whole tax and tip myself since they were resentful of me asking for them to pitch in for tax and tip in the first place. They pointed out today that they would have paid the tax and tip if I told them I wanted them to pitch in for tax and tip before dinner, preferably when inviting them to dinner in the first place, apologized for being sour to me and paid me portions of the tax and tip minus my portion of course. But was I wrong and rude to ask them to pitch in for tax and tip in the first place?

Welcome back Nathan! You didn’t like the answers you got on the WoV site to this exact made up question?
March 22nd, 2022 at 2:26:34 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Sure seems like Nathan, e.g. it happened in her home town, Miami.

But one thing makes me pause: assuming the story is true, I cannot imagine any scenario where Nathan, a low limit player, would get a three hundred dollar comp.
March 22nd, 2022 at 2:49:08 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
If this story is true, Nathan has some rotten friends.

More likely she just picked some randos off the street so she could show off her comps to somebody.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 22nd, 2022 at 3:27:45 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
If you told your friends that you are treating them to dinner, and then asked them to pay when the bill came they are correct (because they were probably not planning to pay).

That being said, its pretty common for people to take care of the tip if you treat them to a dinner (and usually do so without it needing to be spoken).

(Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think many places let you tip with comp points from what I recall, so this should have been planned beforehand if you were relying on comps to cover everything).
March 22nd, 2022 at 4:02:45 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: ams288
If this story is true, Nathan has some rotten friends.

More likely she just picked some randos off the street so she could show off her comps to somebody.

OK folks, here's the deal...... Some of us recognise certain traits in the posts of the New member and believe her to be Karen Nathan.
We are allowed to suspect and believe that.

However, Nathan is/was, without doubt a teller of untruths, to put it kindly. So when we call RiverJordon out as being Nathan, we effectively call that member a ... dare I say it... A Liar and worse!

And then we potentially insult that member. See the problem here?

I have passed on my observations and opinion to Wizard for his decision. I saw this situation coming. It's a tough call. It's his call.
I personally hope that no-one spends one minute suspended for making such accusations/observations. But it's not up to me.

I will observe that Karen/Nathan caused immense damage to these forums by making every new [Miami] member an object of suspicion.

Now, as to those so called friends..... Remember that 'Friend' had a totally different meaning to Karen Nathan. She had over 60 such friends. They were easy to come by and expandable. We moderators spent hours nuking them.
March 22nd, 2022 at 4:48:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: OnceDear
OK folks, here's the deal...... Some of us recognise certain traits in the posts of the New member and believe her to be Karen Nathan.
We are allowed to suspect and believe that.

However, Nathan is/was, without doubt a teller of untruths, to put it kindly. So when we call RiverJordon out as being Nathan, we effectively call that member a ... dare I say it... A Liar and worse!

And then we potentially insult that member. See the problem here?

I have passed on my observations and opinion to Wizard for his decision. I saw this situation coming. It's a tough call. It's his call.
I personally hope that no-one spends one minute suspended for making such accusations/observations. But it's not up to me.

I will observe that Karen/Nathan caused immense damage to these forums by making every new [Miami] member an object of suspicion.

Now, as to those so called friends..... Remember that 'Friend' had a totally different meaning to Karen Nathan. She had over 60 such friends. They were easy to come by and expandable. We moderators spent hours nuking them.

I'm not sure our small footprint is worthy of designating a name an insult. "Karen" would be but that goes well outside the bounds of this and the other site when it's used.

Just for instance, I've said (I believe on WoV) that Nathan doesn't really annoy me. So, even if I recognized the kind of posts of someone reminding me of Nathan, I'm just noticing something and just saying the name does not indicate anything from me other than I recognize a type of post.

I definitely get annoyed with some other people, but they may very well not annoy some other people at all on the sites.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 22nd, 2022 at 5:19:44 PM permalink
missedhervee
Let us assume that the poster in question is a sock for the person we suspect; given that, and given her(?) clear need to "belong"somewhere, is it cruel to ban this person?

It would be justified, but what if repeated banning is seen as rejection and causes depression and possible self-harm?

Not all of us are well-hinged, mentally, and it could be some form of OCD is at work here; regardless, if the posts are deemed harmless I question the need to suspend a sock under these particular circumstances; be better to wait and let the poster make it or break it on their own merit, post-wise.
March 22nd, 2022 at 6:11:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee
Let us assume that the poster in question is a sock for the person we suspect; given that, and given her(?) clear need to "belong"somewhere, is it cruel to ban this person?

It would be justified, but what if repeated banning is seen as rejection and causes depression and possible self-harm?

Not all of us are well-hinged, mentally, and it could be some form of OCD is at work here; regardless, if the posts are deemed harmless I question the need to suspend a sock under these particular circumstances; be better to wait and let the poster make it or break it on their own merit, post-wise.

I think Nathan is on the permanently terminated list. And AFAIK, we aren't a therapy site. But you can always recommend something for anyone I suppose.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 22nd, 2022 at 6:48:21 PM permalink
missedhervee
The Wiz just posted at WoV that he nuked "her" at WoV but not here, as the rules at DT " are not as strict."
Page 1 of 212>