UK, France: Cold Fusion Soon?

July 24th, 2022 at 4:23:20 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Or still always a decade away?

Just browsing around, here are some things I am coming across

* Wikipedia's page seems out of date, and claims the whole effort is almost dead. It says 'cold fusion' has such a bad name researchers now are having to come up with new names like Low Energy Nuclear Reactions for it in order to avoid the negative connotation.

* the news seems to be the stories of some success that came out in Feb. 2022. Some sort of progress has been made with tritium, a type of hydrogen with 2 neutrons as opposed to the one neutron in deuterium, which had been the type of choice it seems. Common hydrogen has no neutrons and I think is the only one that doesn't decay; tritium is rare and radioactive, with a half-life of about 12 years.

* The Brits and the French seem to be the countries at the forefront of pursuing this.

* They don't know where they are going to get the tritium from if it continues to look good. It looks like they'll need breeder reactors to make it, so ... well, anybody can see there are challenges.

https://www.science.org/content/article/fusion-power-may-run-fuel-even-gets-started
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 24th, 2022 at 12:30:32 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Imagine you're a gifted, lone scientist and you secretly invent a viable method of workable fusion, then you patent it.

The world would be your oyster.
July 28th, 2022 at 2:20:51 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
no nonsense gal here makes some points

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 28th, 2022 at 3:24:54 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
Imagine you're a gifted, lone scientist and you secretly invent a viable method of workable fusion, then you patent it.

The world would be your oyster.

I would buy mine on the Chinese knockoff market.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.