Non Binary

December 16th, 2022 at 7:38:43 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
So after my posts about Sam Brinton, I made a few other posts about the concept of a non binary individual. The next day I went to lunch with an ex co-worker who I see 8-10 times a year for sushi lunch. I asked him about his daughter, a college student at NYU. I asked what she planned on doing after college, and he said ‘They are going to be a teacher’. I asked if she was engaged, seeing someone,etc…. He answered she has a significant person in her life, but he used they because she is non binary! The rest of the conversation around her had him saying ‘They singular will be turning 21 next week…’. They plural are going on vacation to Florida…. He also said that the significant other would be considered female by the rest of us, she is non binary also. So his daughter does not consider herself a lesbian!

My wife’s youngest daughter is a lesbian. In college at a dorm. I asked her if she knew any non binary people at school. She said ‘lots of them’. She said most seem to be lesbian girls who are seeking attention.

I stand by my mutual conclusion. That these non binary individuals are not non binary. They are women. That don’t want to fit into the societal norms that are female/feminine. Same for non binary men.

And why the f… did they pick a PLURAL pronoun to refer to a SINGLE individual?
December 16th, 2022 at 8:19:10 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'm sure I am more happy not getting into a debate about the existence of a god, every time someone says, "God bless you." to me.

Even if I believe someone is stating something I don't believe, I'm fine with them living their life. It's only when we actually have to intersect in some more substantive way does it really require possibly an active response. If someone shows up for a lunch, dressed in whatever and prefers to be addressed as "they".
That's not a real problem.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 16th, 2022 at 9:00:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
So after my posts about Sam Brinton, I made a few other posts about the concept of a non binary individual. The next day I went to lunch with an ex co-worker who I see 8-10 times a year for sushi lunch. I asked him about his daughter, a college student at NYU. I asked what she planned on doing after college, and he said ‘They are going to be a teacher’. I asked if she was engaged, seeing someone,etc…. He answered she has a significant person in her life, but he used they because she is non binary! The rest of the conversation around her had him saying ‘They singular will be turning 21 next week…’. They plural are going on vacation to Florida…. He also said that the significant other would be considered female by the rest of us, she is non binary also. So his daughter does not consider herself a lesbian!

My wife’s youngest daughter is a lesbian. In college at a dorm. I asked her if she knew any non binary people at school. She said ‘lots of them’. She said most seem to be lesbian girls who are seeking attention.

I stand by my mutual conclusion. That these non binary individuals are not non binary. They are women. That don’t want to fit into the societal norms that are female/feminine. Same for non binary men.

And why the f… did they pick a PLURAL pronoun to refer to a SINGLE individual?

Sounds to me like rich kids trying to be hip to get attention. And another reason I’d suggest people avoid college as this is what is coming out of our higher education system.
The President is a fink.
December 16th, 2022 at 3:03:57 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Yeah I am pretty woke on this issue, and I honestly don't know what non-binary means (and how it differs from transgender). A few people have explained it, but the definitions have been all over the place.

The best I can come up with is it means anything that is not "gender normative" (I guess), which can really mean almost anything.....

But, my general sentiments are the same, I will always respect people within reason, and I am not going to question the life choice of somebody who is not harming others.

If somebody asks me to call them non-binary I will (I have actually never had this happen, and I know quite a few people who transitioned, all like to be called by their assumed gender identity, I have never actually met somebody who wants to be called "they or them", I hear about it quite frequently, but have not actually experienced it.... I am somewhat suspicious that it is a right-wing talking point to make the situation appear more widespread than it is, but I could be wrong....)

I didn't go to college that long ago -well technically I'm still in college, but I mean undergrad- (less than 10 years ago) and I never met anyone living on campus who proclaimed such (and I was at a hyper liberal college), maybe 5-10 years ago was too early for this event? I don't know.... But, I just don't know if it is the major event that some in the media make it out to be.