Deadpool 2023

Page 11 of 14« First<891011121314>
December 3rd, 2023 at 2:28:45 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
Part of the difference is he isn't using it, the people telling his eulogy are using it. FWIW I agree, you do not use "Dr" unless you are some kind of medical doctor.

If you've earned a doctorate degree, you get to call yourself "Doctor". Not to allow doing so devalues advanced education.
December 3rd, 2023 at 2:34:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: GenoDRPh
If you've earned a doctorate degree, you get to call yourself "Doctor". Not to allow doing so devalues advanced education.

That is fine on campus. Elsewhere it just looks like ego.
The President is a fink.
December 3rd, 2023 at 3:46:22 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I disagree with all of you guys on this point, I don't care what kind of Doctorate degree somebody has, if somebody in a social setting introduces themselves as, "Dr. Smith," or whatever, I just internally eye roll. This only makes sense in medical or academic settings (where somebody's credentials actually are important to know.) If I am in a hospital, and somebody says, "I am Dr. Smith, let me show you this on the chart." But, if I am at a bar, and somebody says, "Hey I am Dr. Smith great to meet you," it is just odd.

I don't get the need some people have to rub their credential/titles in every interaction.
December 3rd, 2023 at 4:18:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
I disagree with all of you guys on this point, I don't care what kind of Doctorate degree somebody has, if somebody in a social setting introduces themselves as, "Dr. Smith," or whatever, I just internally eye roll. This only makes sense in medical or academic settings (where somebody's credentials actually are important to know.) If I am in a hospital, and somebody says, "I am Dr. Smith, let me show you this on the chart." But, if I am at a bar, and somebody says, "Hey I am Dr. Smith great to meet you," it is just odd.

I don't get the need some people have to rub their credential/titles in every interaction.

You are not disagreeing with me as I have been mostly saying the same thing. I would make an exception where the "Dr" or "Doc" becomes half a nickname. I have seen that one happen. Sort of like if you had a priest in the social setting you might call him "Padre." Socially this could be showing informal respect. OTOH, to ask for this is weird.
The President is a fink.
December 3rd, 2023 at 4:44:40 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
You are not disagreeing with me as I have been mostly saying the same thing. I would make an exception where the "Dr" or "Doc" becomes half a nickname. I have seen that one happen. Sort of like if you had a priest in the social setting you might call him "Padre." Socially this could be showing informal respect. OTOH, to ask for this is weird.

Fair Enough. I am all for nicknames if they are in good faith, but I agree, if somebody demands a certain title in a non-professional setting, it is just odd (and they probably have a weird ego thing.)
December 3rd, 2023 at 4:57:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
Fair Enough. I am all for nicknames if they are in good faith, but I agree, if somebody demands a certain title in a non-professional setting, it is just odd (and they probably have a weird ego thing.)

I am talking more "command" than "demand." Like southern blacks will call a leader "Mr" and his first name. Mexicans will call him "jefe." But said leader rarely if ever asks for this. It just develops.

There is an episode of "Friends" where they are in a hospital and Ross introduces himself as "Dr. Geller." Rachel yells at him saying, "that means something here!" So true.
The President is a fink.
December 3rd, 2023 at 5:16:32 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: GenoDRPh

The advanced education shouldn't provide any advanced respect on its own. Respect is something that everyone must earn. If your education has allowed you to earn respect for your actions great, if not than you deserve less respect than someone with little or no education that has made something of themselves.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 3rd, 2023 at 5:52:56 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
That is fine on campus. Elsewhere it just looks like ego.

If someone title is "John Smith. Ph.D.", then now I know sort of education that person has. If someone's title is "John Smith, MD", now I know what education that person has. If someone's title is "Dr. John Smith", now I should inquire more into their specialty or background if I want to know what their credentials are.

I see now problem using the title "Doctor" if someone has earned it. MD's don't have a monopoly on education.
December 3rd, 2023 at 6:30:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'd be fine talking to two people with the same title, one preferring to be addressed by it and one not. And I'd address one the one way and one the other?

Unless you're doing some evaluation of the person, why sweat it one way or another?

Give me a reason why it should matter to me in an informal situation? If you're going to rely on someone specifically for their skill or knowledge than you should be doing some checking of the credentials. Or if you're in a formal situation where it was some sort of protocol and you're not there to make a scene or a protest or something then you follow the protocol.

For that matter if I'm in another country or somewhere where the expected customs and address are different, I try to remember to use them.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 3rd, 2023 at 6:43:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
...I've said before, people you meet tell you all sorts of stuff, you don't know for sure about. Unless I eventually need to rely on something from them, I'm not going to be checking out any of that stuff either.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 11 of 14« First<891011121314>