The Trump Arrest thread

March 31st, 2023 at 11:58:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"The Department of Justice chose not to prosecute. Bragg’s own predecessor declined to prosecute. He is attempting to bootstrap the federal crime into a state case. And if that is the basis for the indictment, I think it’s rather outrageous. I think it’s legally pathetic.” law professor Jonathan Turley

Legally pathetic, and suicidal for the Democrat party.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 31st, 2023 at 12:30:23 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
I'm going to withhold judgement until I see what he is indicted for. I'm not an attorney, but I don't see any crime from what I've seen in the media so far. Initially, this has a similar political circus stench as the Clinton impeachment.

Admirable. Withholding judgment is nearly impossible for most of us when it comes to Trump. I’ll try to do the same. I don’t know if it’s possible to assemble an impartial jury for this case. Maybe bipartisan is the best you can do.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
March 31st, 2023 at 1:13:15 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Get Trumpies on the jury and there will be no conviction.

Voir dire could be interesting; I suspect Trumpies will try to hide the fact to avoid being challenged for cause.

You better believe jury consultants will be examining social media posts by possible jurors to see where their sympathies lie.
March 31st, 2023 at 1:17:06 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I'm thinking about buying a red MAGA hat.

I wasn't previously.

I'd make sure the transaction couldn't be traced though.

Because Trump is the only one standing in the way of us and them.
March 31st, 2023 at 2:02:38 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Legally pathetic, and suicidal for the Democrat party.

The guys whose political predictions are ALWAYS WRONG are at it again.

I think the Dems will be happy to sit back and watch this unfold. Not particularly worried about righties predicting their party’s suicide.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 31st, 2023 at 2:31:34 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Do you people really think this will go to a jury? I don't see any way that it is either not dropped or a plea deal is reached.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 31st, 2023 at 3:18:19 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DRich
Do you people really think this will go to a jury? I don't see any way that it is either not dropped or a plea deal is reached.

I think Trump may insist on a jury for publicity. He is going to enjoy the circus. It will basically turn into the Johnny Depp and Amber Heard trial, massive viewership with all news channels covering and streaming it nonstop.

I would say a plea would be ideal, because we would still get a guilty conviction against Trump (which is good for America), and avoid the circus. But, I think Trump will push for a long drawn-out trial (and demand cameras in the courtroom). (Though I hope you are right.)

My opinion of Trump is that he probably feels that there is no such thing as bad publicity, so he would love a jury trial with news media. Now if his legal team and campaign managers agree with that will be another story (though how much influence anyone has over Trump, who knows.)

But, that is my suspicion of what Trump wants.
March 31st, 2023 at 3:18:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich

I don't see what kind of plea deal is going to benefit Trump. He said he's an innocent man.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 31st, 2023 at 3:29:17 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote:
AP sources: Former President Donald Trump faces at least one felony charge in New York hush money probe

Better stock up on popcorn for next week…
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 31st, 2023 at 3:34:06 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: DoubleGold
Trump is the only one standing in the way of us and them.

"Them"