Mental Health Crisis (USA)

Page 1 of 212>
April 29th, 2023 at 6:07:27 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
For about the last month or so, I've checked out a user on Twitter named "Clown World".

https://twitter.com/ClownWorld_

Almost none of the user's info is being shown through MSM.

It has been an eye-opener.

We live in a clown world.

No joke.

The following numbers should not be trusted IMO.

They do give an roundabout estimate though.

------------------------------

Mental Health By the Numbers

The year 2021 (?)
1 in 5 U.S. adults experience mental illness each year
1 in 20 U.S. adults experience serious mental illness each year
1 in 6 U.S. youth aged 6-17 experience a mental health disorder each year
50% of all lifetime mental illness begins by age 14, and 75% by age 24
Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among people aged 10-14
https://nami.org/mhstats

------------------------------
April 29th, 2023 at 6:23:16 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I believe a true sign of severe mental illness is continually creating new threads that everyone ignores.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 29th, 2023 at 6:54:41 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ams288
I believe a true sign of severe mental illness is continually creating new threads that everyone ignores.

On the other board, he'd already have "DG's corner."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 29th, 2023 at 11:50:38 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288

You gave me a real LOL moment.

I’ll relay a story. My father in law at around age 55 or so had a major business problem. It wasn’t clear if he’d be able to salvage it. He of course was depressed about it. Went to a doctor and was prescribed anti depressant meds. I felt that he was appropriately depressed about the events! Always still acting in his own best interests. When the business problem resolved in his favor the ‘depression’ went away. Did he actually ever have a ‘mental illness’?

Now that I think about it, when I first separated from first wife I certainly was depressed about it. But I don’t ever feel like I was ‘suffering from depression’. Rather, I was unhappy with life events and reacted appropriately. Once I got over the initial ‘stun’ I was fine. But it’s certainly possible had I went to a shrink I would have been ‘diagnosed’ with depression.

I think we WAY OVERUSE the phrase ‘mental illness’.
April 29th, 2023 at 1:29:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
You gave me a real LOL moment.

I’ll relay a story. My father in law at around age 55 or so had a major business problem. It wasn’t clear if he’d be able to salvage it. He of course was depressed about it. Went to a doctor and was prescribed anti depressant meds. I felt that he was appropriately depressed about the events! Always still acting in his own best interests. When the business problem resolved in his favor the ‘depression’ went away. Did he actually ever have a ‘mental illness’?

I worked for a company that I swear half of the people worked there ended up depressed because of how we were treated. Indeed had a forum where they asked "what is the company culture like" and hundreds of replies of how bad it was. One said they (or a coworker) actually drove in, got to the gate, and could not bear to enter so they called in sick and went home. I know a guy had to call off every Monday. He burned all his sick days on it. He swore he was coming in the next Monday and I was "yeah, right." Well, he called off!

Now, were we "depressed" in a clinical sense? Probably. Were we "mentally ill?" Doubtful. That kind of depression you recover from when things get better. Similar to your father in law.

But some people live depressed. I knew one. A common friend lost a potential girlfriend when her mother saw who he was hanging around with. The guy lost all ambition to the point he barely did anything. He saw the rest of his friends progressing in life and it got worse. I eventually cut him out of my life, heard he eventually married. Now, was he "mentally ill?" Survey says "probably."
The President is a fink.
April 29th, 2023 at 3:27:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I want to see what qualifies as mentally ill. I can guarantee you it's not what you think it is, nothing in the medical profession is. What they consider mentally ill we would consider a bad couple of days but they make money on it, big Pharma makes huge money on mental illness so any stats on it are meaningless. Feeling low, we've got just the pill for you. Feeling low for a week why, you must be mentally ill.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 29th, 2023 at 4:23:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In the early days of the Internet I talked to female who was locked up in a psych ward. They apparently had two terminals and they let some of the patients just wander and contact anyone they found to entertain themselves. I knew something was off the first day, and second day. But she kept having to leave and then would suddenly come back online.. By the third day, I managed to coax out of her what the situation was.

I think I was already used to encountering everything from little kids, to pranksters, so, another strange encounter was par for the course.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 30th, 2023 at 2:39:34 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
I want to see what qualifies as mentally ill.

Exactly, until everyone can agree on a definition there will be ambiguity
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 30th, 2023 at 2:47:19 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: Evenbob
I want to see what qualifies as mentally ill. I can guarantee you it's not what you think it is, nothing in the medical profession is. What they consider mentally ill we would consider a bad couple of days but they make money on it, big Pharma makes huge money on mental illness so any stats on it are meaningless. Feeling low, we've got just the pill for you. Feeling low for a week why, you must be mentally ill.

It's easier to see in the Clown World reference.
April 30th, 2023 at 3:07:18 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: rxwine
In the early days of the Internet I talked to female who was locked up in a psych ward. They apparently had two terminals and they let some of the patients just wander and contact anyone they found to entertain themselves. I knew something was off the first day, and second day. But she kept having to leave and then would suddenly come back online.. By the third day, I managed to coax out of her what the situation was.

I think I was already used to encountering everything from little kids, to pranksters, so, another strange encounter was par for the course.

She might have been married living in a luxurious penthouse wanting mind sex, then her husband came into the room.
Page 1 of 212>