US defense against attack

September 22nd, 2023 at 11:40:54 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
As the Doomsday Clock gets ever closer to midnight, I have to wonder about just how GOOD our defenses are and would be against a massive nuclear attack?

I doubt anybody here knows the true extent of our current defenses, but if so, please chime in.

A couple platforms in particular could be focused on: space-based and beam weapons.

"Duck and cover, kids"
September 22nd, 2023 at 11:55:23 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I think nukes are obsolete.

Space weapons or drones would be my guess.

I saw a cargo jet unloading what looked like millions of drones in the air high above cities.

Each drone can do what it's programmed to do.
September 22nd, 2023 at 1:54:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
As the Doomsday Clock gets ever closer to midnight, I have to wonder about just how GOOD our defenses are and would be against a massive nuclear attack?

I doubt anybody here knows the true extent of our current defenses, but if so, please chime in.

SDI was proposed in what, 1983? Ridiculed by the left there has doubtless been some development to provide some protection.

Some.

But it matters not, we get hit by even a few nukes and it is over. New Orleans or St Louis get hit and forget about transporting things around the USA or exporting out of the mid-west. When the nukes hit you will either not know the difference or be in envy of the dead who you will in short order join.

We have more pressing problems. Demographic decline and social collapse are here and getting worse. Most of the rest of the world is in a similar state.
The President is a fink.
September 22nd, 2023 at 5:20:28 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DoubleGold
I think nukes are obsolete.

Space weapons or drones would be my guess.

I saw a cargo jet unloading what looked like millions of drones in the air high above cities.

Each drone can do what it's programmed to do.

This does not make sense to me. How many munitions can a drone carry? And, if they soon carry nukes, how are nukes obsolete?
That is like saying guns are obsolete because robotic soldiers are taking the place of humans and can carry their own guns now.
September 22nd, 2023 at 6:11:07 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Gandler
This does not make sense to me.

Huff some paint and everything he says will make perfect sense.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 23rd, 2023 at 2:29:18 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: Gandler
This does not make sense to me. How many munitions can a drone carry? And, if they soon carry nukes, how are nukes obsolete?
That is like saying guns are obsolete because robotic soldiers are taking the place of humans and can carry their own guns now.

In short, technology makes nukes obsolete, except for folks that don't have the technology.

There's too much cost associated with nukes, including disposal of wastes.

The following ignores space weapons but that subject is plenty rich.

7 minute video:

Only need one non-nuclear munition per miniature drone to terminate at least one target.

The video shows 700,000+ miniature drones being off-loaded in animation (minute mark 2:29) but before that shows how each one works.

------------------

Miniature drones

Nov 18, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L1__ooD5-M

------------------
September 23rd, 2023 at 2:48:59 AM permalink
DoubleGold
One reference:

--------------------------

Nuclear Weapons Are Obsolete

August 9th, 2017
Today, wide area-destruction bombs are unnecessary for the military purposes of the United States (and other technologically advanced nations) because pinpoint targeting accuracy is possible using the Global Positioning System (GPS). The GPS project was launched by the US Department of Defense in 1973 and became fully operational in 1995. Civilian use has been allowed since the 1980s. Also, advances in electronic and computer technologies have been applied to refine the control and guidance of ballistic and cruise missiles, and aerial drones. Today, chemical explosives – without radioactivity – can be delivered very precisely to “enemy” targets, and a great deal of this has actually been happening for years now.

So, nuclear weapons are obsolete for advanced military powers like the United States. It is also true that modern GPS-guided “delivery vehicles” with chemical warheads are much less expensive to produce than nuclear weapons. The true cost of each bomb and missile will include a share of the overall costs for building and maintaining the infrastructure that produced it. That infrastructure cost is monumental for nuclear weapons, not only because of the complexity of producing the radioactive metal, gas and salt fuels, but also because of the catastrophic legacy of long-term toxic radioactive waste management we are left with.
https://dissidentvoice.org/2017/08/nuclear-weapons-are-obsolete/

--------------------------