U.S. Embassy set on fire in Lebanon

October 18th, 2023 at 1:03:13 PM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5

breaking news - see link

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/biden-us-embassy-lebanon-fire-travel-advice-b2431625.html

the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
October 18th, 2023 at 2:17:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Not sure why anyone would be heading to the Middle East, unless you have a better reason than leisure.

It probably is insensitive, but I'm not especially guilt-obsessed about our responsibility for more Americans captured as prisoners in other countries. Once again. And again. And again.

If I go to Tahiti tomorrow, and the government goes nutz over there and they capture me -- I mean, no one asked me go there.

Yeah, I make exceptions for people our government sends. Then we have a definite responsibility to go all out to get them back.

Of course, I don't blame any family trying to get family members back. Just sayin'
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 18th, 2023 at 6:25:49 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Just as the marines strive not to leave their wounded or dead behind, so should the USA seek to liberate hostages: this "right of rescue" comes by virtue of our citizenship.

To do otherwise would be "third world."
October 18th, 2023 at 6:41:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: missedhervee
Just as the marines strive not to leave their wounded or dead behind, so should the USA seek to liberate hostages: this "right of rescue" comes by virtue of our citizenship.

To do otherwise would be "third world."

Eh, i don't endorse any consequence I wouldn't be willing to endure myself.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 18th, 2023 at 6:49:33 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: rxwine
Eh, i don't endorse any consequence I wouldn't be willing to endure myself.

That's you.

I pay taxes and by thunder I want to get my money's worth.

Just as I owe the government, so does the government owe me.
October 18th, 2023 at 7:26:04 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: missedhervee
That's you.

I pay taxes and by thunder I want to get my money's worth.

I think that is an oxymoron.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 18th, 2023 at 7:35:57 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: kenarman
I think that is an oxymoron.

Do tell.

I get a lot of bang for the tax buck: interstates, FAA, FDA, FBI, CIA, armed forces...the list goes on.
October 18th, 2023 at 7:37:21 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Yeah, a good general philosophy is to leave nobody behind. While it does not often make short term sense logistically, politically, or economically (and often even costs more lives than it saves), it is a good rule, because it helps with long term survival. And, it definitely helps with moral (if you know that you belong to a group that will fight for you until the end.)
October 18th, 2023 at 9:04:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Soldiers have an obligation to be there. Ir would be terrible policy to ask them to fight and then forget about them if they don't make it back. It's a volunteer force after all. Recruitment is not maxing out as it is.

Joe Citizen is a different story. MrV pays taxes to have whatever necessary done to get citizens back, whereas I pay taxes to consider more carefully how hard we work to get people back who went somewhere on their own volition.
October 19th, 2023 at 3:29:06 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
Soldiers have an obligation to be there. Ir would be terrible policy to ask them to fight and then forget about them if they don't make it back. It's a volunteer force after all. Recruitment is not maxing out as it is.

Joe Citizen is a different story. MrV pays taxes to have whatever necessary done to get citizens back, whereas I pay taxes to consider more carefully how hard we work to get people back who went somewhere on their own volition.

I pay taxes because I am not smart enough to figure out a way not to pay them without getting in trouble.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.