Killing Him Softly

Page 1 of 61234>Last »
January 24th, 2024 at 5:33:36 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
What a stupid idea.

Executing inmates on death row with nitrogen gas.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alabama-can-proceed-first-ever-nitrogen-gas-execution-us-appeals-court-rcna131910

Bring back the guillotine!

Instantaneous, likely too sudden for much pain to be experienced.

January 24th, 2024 at 5:35:00 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Axphyxiation via nitrogen seems cruel and unusual with lots of suffering.
January 24th, 2024 at 5:44:15 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
my understanding is it's possible to kill someone with nitrogen and they don't suffer.

These executions are not done that way, evidently.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 24th, 2024 at 7:13:52 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: missedhervee
What a stupid idea.

Executing inmates on death row with nitrogen gas.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alabama-can-proceed-first-ever-nitrogen-gas-execution-us-appeals-court-rcna131910

Bring back the guillotine!

Instantaneous, likely too sudden for much pain to be experienced.

I am an advocate of the guillotine, I think it is the most humane and effective way for capitol punishment. This should not be controversial.
January 25th, 2024 at 3:09:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Thinking more about nitrogen, I think it's a potentially very humane way to do executions *if* certain things are true. One thing that's true for sure is that nitrogen itself is harmless to breath, being already 80% or so of the atmosphere. What causes death is increasing that percentage so that there isn't enough oxygen.

Quote: below link
According to the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board, in humans, "breathing an oxygen deficient atmosphere can have serious and immediate effects, including unconsciousness after only one or two breaths. The exposed person has no warning and cannot sense that the oxygen level is too low."
emphasis mine

The objections to this planned execution I think are coming from the anti-death penalty people, and they are able to bring up things as possible because these executions haven't been done. I see from the NBC link they are exploring some problems but also painting a picture of some things that really don't hold water:

"abnormal fatigue" ............... if ever there was a case of "using big words" to cover up a ridiculous point, this is one for sure
"impaired respiration" ............ well, yes, what a stupid point to make again!
"he could vomit and choke" ................... in this case we can't say for sure, but it's possible vomiting will occur while the person is conscious, and that would be a strike against it. See below.

"experience the sensation of feeling suffocated" see below.
"potentially be left in a vegetative state." now this is a suggestion the executioners might be completely incompetent in apparatus design it seems.... possible I guess.

In order to be humane, then, ideally this business of being unable to "sense that the oxygen level is too low" is what you would want to utilize. It would take care of the vomiting and choking possibility, I think. Surely utilizing the effect can be done, either that or some of what has been written about low oxygen effects in many different places [not just the link] is not true. But I notice that the NBC link mentions that "Medical experts say even a small amount of oxygen's getting into the mask when Smith is breathing nitrogen could prolong the time it takes for him to die". So evidently the anti-death penalty people are asserting this, which is no doubt getting inserted into legal arguments. The law is always an ass. The response will be to assure that the person gets as close to 100% nitrogen as possible, which perhaps takes away the "unable to sense" factor and creates the "sensation of feeling suffocated". *sigh*

finally, I'd say the person changing his mind is a problem, as this will mean he might do antics like trying dramatically holding his breath ... if the idea is to provide a humane method, he has to cooperate.

Yeah, maybe the guillotine is the way to go. A lot of blood though. A lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inert_gas_asphyxiation
January 25th, 2024 at 4:51:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
It's simple 100% nitrogen gas. About the only thing that can go wrong is no gas, or wrong gas. Pump enough gas in will create positive pressure even if a leaky mask.

I thought he was suppose to be executed last night.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 25th, 2024 at 4:56:39 AM permalink
rxwine
Otoh, if there is a possibility of messing up the process, I'm sure they will stumble upon an idiot sooner or later to do so.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 25th, 2024 at 5:00:53 AM permalink
rxwine
...that whole thing about, he had only one job, one job, and still sooner or later...fail.
January 25th, 2024 at 6:53:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
It's simple 100% nitrogen gas.
see, I don't think it should be, but because of some jerks it will be
Quote:
About the only thing that can go wrong is no gas, or wrong gas. Pump enough gas in will create positive pressure even if a leaky mask.
well, except those things that the naysayers say could happen.

Quote:
I thought he was suppose to be executed last night.
you can expect a lot of delays now

I actually think the anti-death penalty folks know it's vital to them this is a fiasco.
January 25th, 2024 at 6:57:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit

I actually think the anti-death penalty folks know it's vital to them this is a fiasco.

A good defense lawyer for him should be fairly indistinguishable from an anti-death penalty advocate. Their job is to defend him whether they believe everything they say or not. But he also has to negotiate the actual law, and not act like a protestor.
Page 1 of 61234>Last »