Do you use voice commands on cell phones and/or tablets?

Poll
No votes (0%)
3 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (33.33%)

3 members have voted

October 2nd, 2013 at 9:23:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
One annoyance in my Nexus 7 is the placement of the voice command icon. It's on the upper right corner of the screen, which is near the on/off button. When setting the tablet to sleep or turning it off, I sometimes inadvertently touch it.

I've had several cell phones, both mine and company-issued, with voice command available. I've never used it. I've never used it in the tablet, either, not even to see how it works. Partly it's because of past experiences with voice recognition, but mostly because it feels so unnecessary and more labor-intensive than just opening an app, or typing a note or reminder, or setting an alarm, etc, etc, etc. and also because I can't shake a feeling of foolishness when addressing a machine (I smile when I see any character in an SF show or movie address the computer, particularly in Star Trek).

Does anyone use that "feature" at all?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 3rd, 2013 at 6:40:26 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
The only thing I use it for is texting.
October 3rd, 2013 at 8:29:54 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Hell no. My voice commands don't even work on my son, and sons have had voice recognition technology for tens of thousands of years.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 3rd, 2013 at 8:40:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Hell no. My voice commands don't even work on my son, and sons have had voice recognition technology for tens of thousands of years.

Time enough to hack it to hell and back ;)
October 4th, 2013 at 6:37:31 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Lol, you'd think so.

The more that I think about it, he's exactly like my phone.

Telling the phone to "Call Home" might take 5 tries, where as physical inputs work the first time, every time, and takes less time to do.

Telling my son to "come here" might take 5 tries as well, whereas just grabbing him and moving him where I want him works the first time, every time, and takes less time to do.

OMG... my son's a Droid!
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 4th, 2013 at 1:58:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
The more that I think about it, he's exactly like my phone.

Telling the phone to "Call Home" might take 5 tries, where as physical inputs work the first time, every time, and takes less time to do.

The question is: what are the physical inputs on a boy? I think it would be frustrating and painful to find out :P

Quote:
Telling my son to "come here" might take 5 tries as well, whereas just grabbing him and moving him where I want him works the first time, every time, and takes less time to do.

In fairness, I've noticed with my siblings, nieces and nephews that adults are slow to respond to voice commands as well, in particular when they are engaged in tasks of monumental importance, such as finding out who's been cheating on whom, or other type of gossip.

Quote:
OMG... my son's a Droid!

Count your belssings. If he were an iPhone you'd be considered barbaric, savage and, worst of all, unfashionable, if you dind't change sons every year.