Daily weight training

October 30th, 2013 at 7:20:58 PM permalink
ewjones
Threads: 6
I'm doing a nutritional ketosis diet, and currently not working out much. I wanna do some strength/weight training, but keep it SUPER simple. Just a few exercises every night after work.

Now I know they say only workout a muscle every other day, since it needs to rest, but when my dad was in high school he did a few exercises everyday on a barbell, push-ups, crunches, pull-ups. He could bench over 200 when he weighed like 135. I'm guessing doing super intense hours long weight-lifting would require 24-36 hours for the muscle to fully recover. But shorter, less intense may only require 12-16 hours to fully recover and thus, you could do them everyday, AND still have muscle gains, if a bit slower.

What do you guys think, and what few exercises do you recommend with only a set of dumbells.
October 30th, 2013 at 8:49:31 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I tried weight training but it proved no more successful than my attempts to train the dice!

Ketosis diets are not really wise. Keep your fluids up and steer clear of foie gras.

Alternate days is probably best.
October 30th, 2013 at 10:20:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
This is far from my area, but you actually build muscle on the rest days, when the body is repairing muscles damaged during the workout. So, I agree with the rest day theory. For those who are already buff, it probably isn't necessary. On the rest days I would do cardiovascular exercises.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 31st, 2013 at 6:16:57 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
It kind of depends on age and general physical condition. Back when I was a spry young buck, training everyday was no problem. You know, back when you woke up sore but just getting out of bed and dressed was enough to get you loose? God, I miss those days...

Once you hit mid 20s, early 30s, you really need that day off. I mean, if you're just doing 20 curls of 5 lbs and going for walks, that's no big deal. But if you're training training, don't do it consecutive days.

Personally, I need close to a week. Muscles are fine, but all my joints and ligaments are shredded and it takes a while for the inflamation to go down. The only time I do back to back excersize is during tournaments, and usually by the 5th game I'm maxed on Vicodin and even getting suited up is a struggle. I'm the poster child for dudes that "push it", and I cannot warn you strongly enough how much you don't want to be me.

I'm told even God needed a day of rest.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 6th, 2013 at 4:25:24 PM permalink
ewjones
Threads: 6
Fleastiff .. From what I've been learning recently, ketosis is the opposite of unwise. When you do true ketosis, not only do you lose weight, but several negative health factors go down, BP, Cholestrol, etc. Perhaps the traditional healthy diet were all taught is a lie. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, low fat. Maybe not. Super low carbs, primarily animal products with high fat. Maybe that's the way to go. It's been working thus far.

Wizard .. I guess I wasn't clear in my OP, since I had already understood muscle growth occurs during rest. As I understand it, when you workout, your muscles develop microscopic tears in the fibers, and thus requires time to heal, and your body overcompensates, in turn creating added strength and size. But what if I do shorter, less intense workouts? Does this create less and smaller tears that don't require as much time to heal? That's what I was getting at.

Face .. So on the same pace as my response to Wizard, do you think smaller gains can happen with smaller, but DAILY workouts. I've never really had a problem with recovery, I've worked out in the past, but besides the first/second workout, I never felt muscle fatigue later on or the next day. But then again, I probably wasn't working hard enough.
November 7th, 2013 at 6:09:44 AM permalink
Face
I ain't no doctor and I'm sure as hell ain't no "good example", but my suggestion would be to listen to your body.

Too often we get into warrior mode where we try to "fight through" our problems. Speaking from experience, that's a surefire way to end up living a life of eternal pain where even daily use of opiates is only just enough to get you through the day.

Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong. You'd be wise to listen to it. Granted, some pain is pleasurable; that tight, tingly pain of pulled muscles being stretched, that's a good one. Often, just a little warm up will get rid of it and you're more or less good to go. But when you start to feel pinching, burning, or "pointy" pain, man, give it a rest.

I don't know what your purpose is for working out, nor what your current physique is now, so it's hard to tell what "gains" you speak of. If you're trying to get "big" or "ripped", then you should surely be feeling pain after those initial workouts and you definitely need that down time for repair. But if you're doing more aerobic/conditioning stuff just to be fit and/or lose weight, then the excersizes are different. It's more fat burning than muscle building. If all you're feeling is some intial "tight and tingly" pain that just needs a warm up to relieve, then go for the daily. But if you're trying to build muscle and only feel that the first day or two, yeah, you're not trying hard enough.

And remember, I am not a doctor. If you blow yourself out, I ain't sharing my vikes and I can't prescribe you any either ;)
November 8th, 2013 at 12:28:49 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
This is far from my area, but you actually build muscle on the rest days,.
Possibly quite true, but I wonder if a laboring man ever had an option to only do so on alternate days? Steel mill workers? Ditch diggers? Whatever... it was probably repetitive and probably there was only one day of rest per week.
November 8th, 2013 at 5:42:00 AM permalink
Face
Quote: Fleastiff
Possibly quite true, but I wonder if a laboring man ever had an option to only do so on alternate days? Steel mill workers? Ditch diggers? Whatever... it was probably repetitive and probably there was only one day of rest per week.

Ah, but do this for me if you would. Go to the local dive at about noon and then again at 5p. One of those local places that automatically serve a beer with lunch, you know, a place that laborers hang out. And after 30-45 minutes of sitting and eating, watch them as they get up. Look at their faces. I bet their rise from their table is labored, and the look on their faces is nothing but pain.

Every now and again you'll find a true workhorse, I happen to play hockey with one. A guy that's at work by 6a and goes until the clock reads 6 again. And maybe he'll even suit up and play hockey after that. And wake up the next day and do it all over again. But the majority of laborers aren't the type to be running around and throwing the ball with their grandkids when they're 60. More often than not, they're the ones that relegate themselves to the comfy chair and watch their grandkids throw the ball, and getting up from said chair takes enough time so as to be measurable by stopwatch.

Laborers have the warrior mentality. Don't matter bout no aches and pains, they've a job to do. And more often than not, they'll get it done, I'm surely not putting them down. But watch them in their day to day and ask yourself if you'd like to live that life.

I won the genetic lottery. My body was perfectly functionable and I excelled at everything athletic, from speed to strength to hand-eye. I missed all those terrible, crippling diseases that some folks get hung with. But now, at 33 and for the last 10 years, I live my life in constant pain. I wake with it, I live with it, I fall asleep to it. At times, I even dream of it. It never. Goes. Away. Vicodin, Oxys, even morphine only dull it. My only out is death, which is still another 40-50 years away. And every bit of it is a product of pushing it, of the warrior mentality.

Don't be me. Listen to your body.