sexuality in movie ratings

December 28th, 2013 at 11:39:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The upcoming teen comedy G.B.F. received an R rating despite most similar films receiving PG-13 ratings. The director feels the film was singled out because the kissing and PDA was often between gay teens.

Quote: huffington Post

Director Darren Stein is defending his new teen comedy, "G.B.F.," after the Motion Picture Association of America slapped the film with an R rating, citing "sexual references."

"What really appealed to me about the screenplay was that it felt like a mainstream teen comedy that could reach a wide audience," Stein, who feels the film should've warranted a PG-13 rating at most, told HuffPost Live in an interview last week.

The director, whose credits include 1999's teen-centric black comedy "Jawbreaker," believes that "G.B.F." (which stands for "gay best friend") is very appropriate for young audiences.

"The tone is very sweet and good-natured; there's no nudity and no violence," he said. "There's not even the F-word."
December 29th, 2013 at 11:24:08 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: huffington Post
.... "There's not even the F-word."

Except the black girl is wearing a WTF shirt.

But seriously, I agree that (at least without any additional info or seeing the movie) that the rating is probably wrong, but not at all surprising. It's all about being among the first to break the barriers.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
December 29th, 2013 at 9:28:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Gay teens, oh boy. I wonder how many double entendre's
are in it. Hundreds, I'm sure. Gay movie writers love them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 29th, 2013 at 10:03:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I couldn't figure out what barrier they were breaking. The same sex kissing barrier has been crossed on network TV (not cable) several times already.

But then, maybe that it is being marketed to teens, or "tweens". The age that watched Miley Cyrus while she was still Disney approved.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?