Netflix became the past year's best performer on the S&P 500.

Page 1 of 111234>Last »
Poll
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
5 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

January 1st, 2014 at 11:42:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Netflix became the past year's best performer on the S&P 500. Clearly the series releases have captured the imagination of millions. House of Cards part 2 will be released in 4K next year, which will help a lot to jumpstart sales of those ultrahigh definition TV's. UHDTV range in price from $1K for a 50" TV to $150K for a 110" TV.

Netflix is going to make modest strides to trying to control the number of people using one account. The plan is to issue a new option for one and only one device at $1 less than current price, keep the main plan of 2 devices for the current price, and a new plan for up to 4 devices at one time. The thinking is that many people will have 2 devices at home, and will be reluctant to give their pass code to family or friends outside of their house since it may freeze them out.

Of course, there is always the option to pay for time watching Netflix. Then it won't matter how many devices are being used. If this happens, what do you think the price will be (see poll)?
January 2nd, 2014 at 10:08:29 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I can't see it being a 'by time' service, unless they start streaming live/almost live events somehow. The eat as much as you like model is a good one. I would pay double for Netflix without thinking about it.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 2nd, 2014 at 11:08:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: TheCesspit
I can't see it being a 'by time' service, unless they start streaming live/almost live events somehow. The eat as much as you like model is a good one. I would pay double for Netflix without thinking about it.

A survey published in January 2012 said that the average Netflix subscriber watches 54 minutes per day. At $7.99 per month, that adds up to 2.06 cents per minute. Other than free antenna television, that is pretty cheap.

To down load a current TBBT episode time 21:19 from itunes cost $2.99 or 14 cents per minute.

An average patron at a Carmike cinema pays $6.85 for ticket plus $3.91 for concession. Even assuming a short 90 minute movie that comes out to 12 cents per minute. So even at the price gouging for the treats, it can still be comparable to per show downloads.

If all entertainment becomes payable per show or per minute, there is a large wiggle room in what shows will cost. Estimates are that 154 channels will be lost immediately if cable channels had a per channel ala carte price. Some research believes that only 20 channels can survive in that market.
January 2nd, 2014 at 11:19:56 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
In Mexico it's 99 pesos per month (around US $7.50) and apparently you can log in multiple profiles. I've no idea about devices. I use the PC to browse and add to the list (bigger screen), but I stream everything on the tablet.

The price IS very reasonable, but the offers are rather limited. I'd love it if they had all the Law & Order shows, or Babylon 5 for instance. It's a bit uneven, too. They have the original Star trek and The Next Generation, but not Deep Space Nine or Voyager. Also Stargate SG1 but not Atlantis.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 2nd, 2014 at 5:29:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
The price IS very reasonable, but the offers are rather limited. I'd love it if they had all the Law & Order shows, or Babylon 5 for instance. It's a bit uneven, too. They have the original Star trek and The Next Generation, but not Deep Space Nine or Voyager. Also Stargate SG1 but not Atlantis.

Everything gets tiered sooner or later. They will have to offer a higher level of service. More and more people are purchasing Netflix in lieu of cable, and they will want better choices.
January 3rd, 2014 at 2:52:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I use Netflix about 90min per day. It's the last thing
I do before I go to sleep every night. I have a swing
out shelf over my bed that puts the laptop about
18" from my face. The 17" screen looks better than
a 50" flatscreen from 7' away.

Netflix is somewhat confusing when it comes to finding
movies. You can search the categories, or enter a
specific item. I find it helpful to click on people I like
and it brings up the movies they're in. I would say
70% of the movies offered are pure crap, they're loser
bottom feeders that nobody saw. I always do IMDB on
a title I don't know and have saved myself much grief.
If it doesn't get at least a 5.7 in the reviews, I don't
bother with it. It's amazing how many are in the 4. range.

Saw a cute one last night called The Kitchen, with Laura
Prepon from That 70's Show. The entire movie was shot
is a kitchen, the whole thing. Made last year, it's amazing
how things never change. Young people today are having
the same problems today that were portrayed in the movies
50 years ago.

There's a scene where a guy is playing with a girls crotch under
her skirt and there are people around. I'm sure young people
think, how daring, we're so original. In the 50's when girls wore
long skirts, I knew a guy that had his girlfriend sit on his lap
in her parents living room, and they had sex, with her parents
sitting right there. Now that's daring. There's nothing new, only
new to you.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 5th, 2014 at 8:58:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
I have a swing out shelf over my bed that puts the laptop about 18" from my face. The 17" screen looks better than
a 50" flatscreen from 7' away.

With 19" TV's that weigh less than 6 pounds, you can mount them anywhere on articulated arms for easy personal viewing. Chromecast sticks weigh less than 1 ounce and can bring Netflix to the screen without a cable or antenna.

Although people are still pushing 60" or 70" TV's with Ultra High Definition, most people watch TV alone, much like transistor radios in the 1950's. Most people still design rooms around televisions, but increasingly they can be pushed to the background.
January 6th, 2014 at 7:31:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Chromecast sticks weigh less than 1 ounce and can bring Netflix to the screen without a cable or antenna.

You can bring a Chromecast along on trips and watch TV that way, too, if your hotel room TV has a spare HDMI port (likely) and the WiFi is up to it (uncertain).

BTW, I've been seeing comparisons between Netflix and Amazon Prime. The latter seems like a very good deal, too, but there are some downsides. For me the most glaring one is that Amazon Prime is not available in Mexico while Netflix is.

One thing I wish Netflix had is global settings for TV series. As it is, I have to manually switch the audio to English with every episode in some series. But at least they offer non-dubbed versions of (most) TV shows.
January 6th, 2014 at 11:48:55 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
One thing I wish Netflix had is global settings for TV series. As it is, I have to manually switch the audio to English with every episode in some series. But at least they offer non-dubbed versions of (most) TV shows.

I don't know which device you use, but Subtitles and Language Support might help.
January 6th, 2014 at 1:59:57 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I don't know which device you use, but Subtitles and Language Support might help.

Thanks, but it merely says to choose the language when the show starts streaming. I already do that.

It varies. TNG is set by default in English with Spanish subtitles, and there's no option to do without subtitles. MIB (the animated series; ok, the cartoon show) is set by default in Spanish, and has the option not to show any subtitles.
Page 1 of 111234>Last »