Future of Cable TV

July 10th, 2015 at 1:22:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
I still say if they took ESPN off the basic tier and just charged the same rate as they get now they would lose at least half their base.

HBO® & Cinemax® costs $17.95/month on my cable TV. That price is available if you have just local broadcast TV stations $21/month+fees or if you also have national basic tier ($52/month + fees). In contrast the streaming price for just HBO® is $15/month. Now ESPN is roughly $7/month for all ESPN channels, but 92 million subscribers pay that amount.

So you think if ESPN was a subscriber base and it only costs $7 that only 46 million people would sign up? That seems a little negative.

I think people would gladly pay $20 for the local over the air stations, just to have good reception without having to mount an antenna or worry about topography.
Network High Definition: CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, CW, MyTV, ION, PBS,
Standard Definition old shows/movies: MeTV, THIStv, Retro Television Network, Cozi TV, Antenna TV, Tuff TV, Bounce TV, Laff TV, Movies!, GeT TV
Spanish: Telefutura, Univision, Telemundo, Mundo FOX
Local: News, The AccuWeather Channel
July 10th, 2015 at 2:22:38 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The channel that fascinates me is
EL REY
What a channel, all action. A mans channel :-)
The El Rey motto
"Cinematic TV. Badass Flicks. Killer Opportunities. We serve it all up for rebels, aficionados and passionate creators. King Size Content and the chance to get your work seen. Ride with El Rey"

You make a badass cheesy movie, El Rey will show it.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 10th, 2015 at 3:33:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Maxine Waters is one of the few black congresswoman who represents a district which is only 23.6% Black, but is one of the most diverse in the country.
730,217 Total population
163,215 Black or African American
343,460 Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
95,566 Asian

Quote: terapined
The channel that fascinates me is EL REY.

Maxine was a major force in pushing Comcast to add four networks that primarily appealed to Black and Latino groups.

El Rey Network
Aspire TV
Revolt TV
Baby First Americas
July 10th, 2015 at 4:01:41 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Pacomartin
I think people would gladly pay $20 for the local over the air stations, just to have good reception without having to mount an antenna or worry about topography.l

If people actually experimented hooking up a modern $50 indoor antennae, I'll bet a lot of folks would cancel their cable service. I get 100% of the local channels in perfect HD. Am I just incredibly lucky with my local topography, or are people just too lazy to experiment? Path of least resistance...
July 10th, 2015 at 4:24:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
If people actually experimented hooking up a modern $50 indoor antennae, I'll bet a lot of folks would cancel their cable service. I get 100% of the local channels in perfect HD. Am I just incredibly lucky with my local topography, or are people just too lazy to experiment? Path of least resistance...

I get all but the ABC affiliate and I am sort of in a valley.

It is a few things. Most people, if they remember over air at all, remember analog. Digital you kind of either get reception or not. People, including my own mother, see my reception and say they thought I did not have cable. I have had to point out the big things sticking out of the top of the set. Others just don't want to try.
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2015 at 4:34:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

I recall an indoor antenna which went screwy if someone didn't touch it. Others which went to hell if someone did touch them. And plenty which lost reception when someone stood up...

Allegedly modern digital broadcasting is different. You don't get static, but you get gaps, lag, freezes and such as bad reception. So you may be lucky. try the same antenna somewhere else and you'll see.

In Mexico cable, for me, is essential. Actually I do get very good OTA reception with an antenna, even without one back in analog days. And I'd sooner give up TV from February to September than watch any local channels. I put them on only for NFL games and rarely for news. I get most of the TV I watch from a handful of cable channels which show US network shows, another handful of assorted channels like History, NGC, Discovery and such, plus sports channels (for NFL games only) and two or three news channels (CNNI, BBC news and there may be another).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 10th, 2015 at 7:41:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
If people actually experimented hooking up a modern $50 indoor antennae, I'll bet a lot of folks would cancel their cable service.

It doesn't work for me. I am 42 miles from Philadelphia's antenna farm in Roxborough, we are both at an elevation of 350'. For digital television the Fcc approved two new towers at 1,267 feet tall, and at 1,327 feet. But there are two hills at almost 1000' between us and the towers, so I would need an antenna at my residence several hundred tall to get transmissions. I think you can build a 100' home antenna, but no higher than that.

But most people feel like they get a better signal from an antenna than from the compressed signal from cable. My cable company now has a $6 Broadcast TV Surcharge but they may go one step further and make the broadcast stations an optional tier. But that is a slippery slope. If people hook up antennas to get broadcast channels, they may just cancel cable TV and rely on a combination of broadcast and streaming services.
July 11th, 2015 at 4:25:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
It doesn't work for me. I am 42 miles from Philadelphia's antenna farm in Roxborough, we are both at an elevation of 350'. For digital television the Fcc approved two new towers at 1,267 feet tall, and at 1,327 feet. But there are two hills at almost 1000' between us and the towers, so I would need an antenna at my residence several hundred tall to get transmissions. I think you can build a 100' home antenna, but no higher than that.

There is a reason that part of the state is where cable TV was invented.......

Quote:
But most people feel like they get a better signal from an antenna than from the compressed signal from cable. My cable company now has a $6 Broadcast TV Surcharge but they may go one step further and make the broadcast stations an optional tier. But that is a slippery slope. If people hook up antennas to get broadcast channels, they may just cancel cable TV and rely on a combination of broadcast and streaming services.

ding ding ding ding ding! Welcome to my living room! The $700 a year I save is wonderful!
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2015 at 5:06:05 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
My cable company now has a $6 Broadcast TV Surcharge but they may go one step further and make the broadcast stations an optional tier. But that is a slippery slope. If people hook up antennas to get broadcast channels, they may just cancel cable TV and rely on a combination of broadcast and streaming services.

Wow, a $6 broadcast TV surcharge. Their level of denial is almost comical. An entire industry committing suicide! Someone needs to intervene and get these guys some counseling.

Lots of parallels with the music industry foolishly charging $18 for CDs even after Napster had decimated their sales numbers. You can't compete with free.
July 12th, 2015 at 6:10:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Wow, a $6 broadcast TV surcharge. Their level of denial is almost comical. An entire industry committing suicide! Someone needs to intervene and get these guys some counseling.

They also charge a $4 Sports surcharge and $2 for entertainment. The phone has a $8.50 FSLC charge (which is not a tax). It just allows you to hook up to calls outside of your local area. In other words to function as a telephone.

$6 Broadcast TV Surcharge
$4 Sports Programming Surcharge
$2 Entertainment Networks Surcharge
$8.50 Federal Subscriber Line Charge

It is pretty clear that they are committing seppuku, but in the short term they still collect these fees.