Poll
3 votes (37.5%)
1 vote (12.5%)
4 votes (50%)

8 members have voted

February 18th, 2014 at 3:52:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
While disturbing, this isn't new/ Tough I do think it is getting worse.

I have thought for years that to graduate high school you should have to pass the US Citizenship test. I'd say you should have to pass it to vote but that would probably be axed by the Supremes, even though the Constitution does allow qualifications for voting.

Would states requiring said test be a good idea? I would ideally want it done off-campus in cheat-proof testing sites, which we already have. Though we could also have an auditor, which we already already have, proctor it. Allow a re-test during the year, and at end of summer.
The President is a fink.
February 20th, 2014 at 1:12:19 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
I think it's a great idea. ...as long as its not a retroactive type thing. I doubt that I'd pass today. Hell, I doubt I would have passed 33 years ago either. (Damn time flies.)
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
February 20th, 2014 at 1:37:29 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
This is nonsense. What you would get is a bunch of teachers giving their students memorization tasks that have nothing to do with the context of the subject. It's far better for a mandatory classes that teaches all of the things that a US Citizen needs to know. Call it Grade 11 US Citizenship with prerequisites of Grade 9/10 American History and Grade 9/10 Geography. But I would also teach world history and geography as well.

The other thing is that Americans are myopic enough as it is. A good proportion of its residents don't know about what is going on in the rest of the world.
February 20th, 2014 at 7:20:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo
This is nonsense. What you would get is a bunch of teachers giving their students memorization tasks that have nothing to do with the context of the subject. It's far better for a mandatory classes that teaches all of the things that a US Citizen needs to know. Call it Grade 11 US Citizenship with prerequisites of Grade 9/10 American History and Grade 9/10 Geography. But I would also teach world history and geography as well.

Civics is already a requirement in high schools here. In the end, most tests are some kind of "memorization." I'd rather they memorize how their government works than think the houses of congress are Democrat and Republican. I seriously do not understand why liberals think we are not supposed to test kids on what they have learned.

FWIW World History is also taught at the high school level.

Quote:
The other thing is that Americans are myopic enough as it is. A good proportion of its residents don't know about what is going on in the rest of the world.

So that is a reason not to teach them how their government works?
The President is a fink.