Common sense versus science

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
January 25th, 2017 at 4:03:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Face
My grandpops is older than the chainsaw. You believe that? When he was born they did not exist. Sitting here at 36 I can list nonstop for hours all the things I know of that my son will never understand. Just looking at my life in the last 30 YEARS is mind boggling to see how much things have changed. I even remember a time when you could drink at 19 and seatbelts were a factory option.

One reason to avoid cryogenics is that you might then have to pay off the public debt your generation ran up. Certain celluar processes definitely continue.

Rapid change? Just look at the returning Vietnam Vets... one guy walked into a bank and lined up behing someone at a teller window not having any idea there was ONE line at banks. The security guard came up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder... not a good thing to do to a guy who had been in combat three days earlier.
August 29th, 2017 at 1:49:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Happened to think of this one today after watching so much news about rain.

Pre-science observers, or rather the survivors likely discovered the best first indication of a Tsunami is water massively disappearing or rather receding from the shoreline not seeing a big wave on the horizon.

Likely anyone who walked out to collect stranded sea life or items wasn't seen alive again.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 3rd, 2017 at 1:35:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Not really science, but more the idea - contrarianism. Supposedly working against your own best interests.

Quote:
Elvis Presley's manager sold "I Hate Elvis" badges as a way to make money off of people who weren't buying his merchandise.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 15th, 2019 at 4:30:41 PM permalink
rxwine
It might seem more logical to practice something you want to perfect like repeating a free throw from a foul line while concentrating on correcting the minor variation, but in actual experimentation people can improve practice of anything faster by adding in more variation to their practice than trying to keep such a narrow scope.

Not sure if this is due to the mind actually losing concentration by doing something the same, or maybe the brain needs more variation to get the proper feel for making the necessary mechanics of the shot. Or maybe it's both.
July 10th, 2022 at 7:44:34 AM permalink
rxwine
Scared Straight - a group of inmates known as the "lifers" berate, scream at, and terrify the young offenders in an attempt to "scare them straight", so that those teenagers will avoid prison life.

Quote:
In April 1978, James Finckenauer, a professor of the Rutgers School of Criminal Justice, began a test of the Scared Straight program, using a control group, something that had not been done previously.[15] His study concluded that children who attended Rahway were more likely to commit crimes than those who did not.[16]

A meta-analysis of the results of a number of Scared Straight and similar programs found that they actively increased crime rates and lead to higher re-offense rates compared to control groups that did not receive the intervention. The cause of the increase in crime is not clear.[17] The UK College of Policing agrees that there is "very strong quality" evidence that Scared Straight programs cause an increase in crime.[18]

In 2011, two Justice Department officials wrote an op-ed piece in the Baltimore Sun describing scared straight programs as "ineffective" and "potentially harmful." The officials, OJJDP Acting Administrator Jeff Slowikowski and Laurie O. Robinson wrote that "when it comes to our children," policymakers and parents should "follow evidence, not anecdote."[19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scared_Straight!
July 11th, 2022 at 2:41:31 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
I ran into Ed at the supermarket, Ninety-two and still able to shop alone. He used to own the gym where I trained many years before, but he still remembered me. He lived half the year in the city, and spent the warmer months on his 300 acre dairy farm upstate. While we were chatting, I asked about the dairy farm.

"Sometimes I fall asleep in my chair while I'm reading. I woke up, and there's a woman staring at me. Then she vanished"

"How did she get in? Did you call the Police?"

"No. She vanished."

"I understand that. Did you call the police?

"Nooo. She vanished"

"You mean she..."

Ed shrugged his shoulders.

"The house is 300 years old. Lots of people have lived there"

Alzheimers took Ed, two years later.
October 31st, 2022 at 8:41:04 AM permalink
rxwine
When you add a lane to an existing road to improve traffic congestion, it often encourages more people to use that road bringing you back to square one.

Quite possibly, I'm guessing by the time funding and construction is done, you've already fallen behind the 8 ball again.
June 3rd, 2023 at 12:32:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Who would have guessed that lack of oxygen might actually be a stimulus for multicellular life.

Page 6 of 6« First<3456