Spanish Word of the Day

March 21st, 2014 at 5:00:44 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Please add 10 push-ups to my tab.

I think by now you should spend the entirety of WoVCon Quattro doing push ups.

Lucky for you that would be dull and no one will want to see it ;)

Quote:
I was trying to say the future tense of hacer. However, there was a mistake in my mistake. I shouldn't have even attempted to use the "they" form. I should have said haréis, if you'll let me use the vosotros form.

I'll let you guess on the last part.

"Que quieren hacer para celebrar?" "Como quieren celebrar?" "Que harán para celebrar?" among others.

Quote:
Ooo! I thought he was like the George Washington of Mexico. I don't know him well enough to defend the other side, but hopefully Paco can play the devil's advocate.

Well, he was a dictator who ruled for many years. In fact, Porfirio Díaz, who would later Dictate for three decades, rose up against Juarez under the soon-to-be-ironic slogan "Sufragio Efectivo, No Re-elección."(*) He passed the Reform Laws, which are only vaguely described in history class. One provision was the expropriation of a great deal of property and goods belonging to the Catholic Church.

This was, I think, before the French invaded and installed a puppet emperor Maximiliano I, in Mexico. There followed years of civil war, I think involving French troops on the side of the Conservatives. Eventually the French, and Maximiliano, were deposed (the emperor and his wife were executed). Of course, at the time America was having her own Civil War, otherwsie the French, Napoleon III or no Napoleon III, would never have dared invade an American neighbor. By the time the USCW ended, the French could be pressured into withdrawing support of their puppet.

(*) There's a joke that Díaz later claimed to have been missunderstood. That he claimed his slogan was "Sugfragio efectivo no. Re-elección!" But it's just a lame classroom joke.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 21st, 2014 at 5:29:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Thank you for the refresher on my Mexican history, which is always very rusty, at best.

If if Juarez was so bad, then why did he get elected five times, there is a city named for him (across from El Paso), an airport, and it seems there is a Benito Juarez avenida in lots of Mexican cities? Doesn't he, perhaps incorrectly, get most of the credit for defeating the French?

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 21st, 2014 at 6:02:50 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The word Jaculatoria = "Se llama jaculatoria, en la cultura cristiana, a la breve oración o invocación fervorosa."

The English word briefly held that meaning alongside the biological one in the 17th century, but the two meanings cannot exist side by side for long periods.

Benito Juarez is usually called the "Lincoln of Mexico" as he lived at the same time as Abraham Lincoln and they admired each other greatly. Lincoln even secretly helped supply Juarez with guns.

As you probably knew, Juarez was 100% indigenous, and probably never heard Spanish until the age of 3.

He is greatly admired in Mexico, but he certainly used some of the same tricks as other politicians. The name "dictator" has some justification. But that probably could be said about every 19th century head of state of Mexico.
March 21st, 2014 at 6:04:08 PM permalink
Nareed
If if Juarez was so bad, then why did he get elected five times, is there a city named for him (across from El Paso), an airport, and it seems there is a Benito Juarez avenida in lots of Mexican cities? Doesn't he, perhaps incorrectly, get most of the credit for defeating the French?

It's like this. Porfirio Díaz is the most reviled man in Mexican history. As far as the government-issued history books are concerned, the period he ruled (1880-1910) was equivalent to the Dark Ages. Even so, there are streets named after him here and there. Perhaps the second most reviled, and the msot reviled in mdoern times, is José López Portillo, who was president between 1976 and 1982. There are streets named for him, too,a nd even a few statues.

IMO, this tells you enough about Mexico.

Out of curiosity, I don't expect anything to be named after Benedict Arnold in the US, but is there anything (streets, parks, cities, etc) named after, say, Stonewall Jackson, Jefferson Davies or Robert E. Lee?
March 21st, 2014 at 6:05:55 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
The name "dictator" has some justification. But that probably could be said about every 19th century head of state of Mexico.

And every 20th century one as well, until the second part of Carlos Salinas' term. That was when suddenly other parties started winning elections.
March 21st, 2014 at 9:49:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis in a carving 2 acres in area. They actually have quite a few monuments to them.

Americans don't create martyrs, and they don't create villains. President Andrew Jackson is sometimes called America's Hitler, but very few people know that.

Porfirio Díaz was greatly admired in America when he ruled. His comment in an interview in an American magazine where he said he would retire was a big part of the revolution.

Quote: James Creelman interview of Porfirio Diaz in Pearson's Magazine published 17 February 1908

From the heights of Chapultepec Castle President Diaz looked down upon the venerable capital of his country, spread out on a vast plain, with a ring of mountains flung up grandly about it, and I, who had come nearly four thousand miles from New York to see the master and hero of modern Mexico--the inscrutable leader in whose veins is blended the blood of the primitive Mixtecs with that of the invading Spaniards--watched the slender, erect form, the strong, soldierly head and commanding, but sensitive, countenance with an interest beyond words to express.

A high, wide forehead that slopes up to crisp white hair and over hangs deep-set, dark brown eyes that search your soul, soften into inexpressible kindliness and then dart quick side looks-terrible eyes, threatening eyes, loving, confiding, humorous eyes--a straight, powerful, broad and somewhat fleshy nose, whose curved nostrils lift and dilate with every emotion; huge, virile jaws that sweep from large, flat, fine ears, set close to the head, to the tremendous, square, fighting chin; a wide, firm mouth shaded by a white mustache; a full, short, muscular neck; wide shoulders, deep chest; a curiously tense and rigid carriage that gives great distinction to a personality suggestive of singular power and dignity-- that is Porfirio Diaz in his seventy-eighth year, as I saw him a few weeks ago on the spot where, forty years before, he stood-with his besieging army surrounding the City of Mexico, and the young Emperor Maximilian being shot to death in Queretaro, beyond those blue mountains to the north--waiting grimly for the thrilling end of the last interference of European monarchy with the republics of America.

It is the intense, magnetic something in the wide-open, fearless, dark eyes and the sense of nervous challenge in the sensitive, spread nostrils, that seem to connect the man with the immensity of the landscape, as some elemental force.

There is not a more romantic or heroic figure in all the world, nor one more intensely watched by both the friends and foes of democracy, than the soldier-statesman, whose adventurous youth pales the pages of Dumas, and whose iron rule has converted the warring, ignorant, superstitious and impoverished masses of Mexico, oppressed by centuries of Spanish cruelty and greed, into a strong, steady, peaceful, debt-paying and progressive nation.

"No matter what my friends and supporters say, I retire when my present term of office ends, and I shall not serve again. I shall be eighty years old then.

thank you for this recommendation.
March 22nd, 2014 at 3:35:29 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis in a carving 2 acres in area. They actually have quite a few monuments to them.

I'm guessing it's south of a certain famous line?

I should say I'm surprised. Lee was certainly one of the best-ever generals (just see how far he got with ill-equiped troops and really bad logistics), but the cause he chose couldn't have been more wrong (not at that time).

Given this, though, I would expect something honoring J.E.B. Stuart. But please don't tell me there's a monument to Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Quote:
Americans don't create martyrs, and they don't create villains.

Benedict Arnold? Monica Lewinski? OJ Simpson? The Dallas Cowboys? <w>

Quote:
President Andrew Jackson is sometimes called America's Hitler, but very few people know that.

I really fail to see why. He's controversial, and being a Democrat doesn't help, but he was thoroughly a man of his time.

Quote:
thank you for this recommendation.

You're welcome
March 22nd, 2014 at 4:45:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 22-3-14
Palabra: Quiromancia

Today's SWD means chiromancy. "What is chiromancy?", you might ask. Then today we get to learn an English word too. It is the study of palm reading.

Usually when I see the prefix "chiro" I think of the back, as in chiropractic, but I think the prefix refers to the whole skeletal system. I guess it is usually the spine that gives most of us problems.

Ejemplo time.

Me dijo la quiromancista que encontaré amor muy pronto. = The palm reader said I would find love very soon.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 22nd, 2014 at 5:57:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Today's SWD means chiromancy. "What is chiromancy?", you might ask.

I knew both words.

But then I read the Technomage trilogy, which has a heavy influx of magical and con terms like that.

Quote:
Me dijo la quiromancista que encontaré amor muy pronto. = The palm reader said I would find love very soon.

I've no idea if the choice of noun is anywhere near right or not. All I know about palm-reading is what appears on TV and the movies, and that's more than I've ever wanted to know. If there is a common term in Spanish for such a person, I don't know it. This also means "please dont' ask questions about Mexican or Latin American mysticism." I'm proudly clueless about it.
March 22nd, 2014 at 6:13:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
This also means "please dont' ask questions about Mexican or Latin American mysticism." I'm proudly clueless about it.

Carlos Castañeda was probably more American than Peruvian. He moved to the USA as a teenager.

The famous Life Magazine May 13 1957 as part of its "Great Adventures Series," published "Seeking the Magic Mushroom" (in Mexico) This article, which inspired Dr. Timothy Leary and countless others to try the mushrooms, is considered by many to be the instrument that ushered in the "Psychedelic Revolution" of the 1960s.