Letterman's Replacement

Page 1 of 41234>
April 11th, 2014 at 9:45:22 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
In light of the fact that Jimmy Fallon took the Tonight show for $12 million per year, I actually don't think that CBS considered Craig Ferguson or Jon Stewart at all.

Stephen Colbert's Annual Salary $6 Million
Chelsea Handler $12 million
Craig Ferguson's Annual Salary $12.7 Million
Jon Stewart's Annual Salary $25 Million
April 11th, 2014 at 10:25:31 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Pacomartin
In light of the fact that Jimmy Fallon took the Tonight show for $12 million per year, I actually don't think that CBS considered Craig Ferguson or Jon Stewart at all.

Stephen Colbert's Annual Salary $6 Million
Craig Ferguson's Annual Salary $12.7 Million
Jon Stewart's Annual Salary $25 Million

I was genuinely surprised; Colbert had not occurred to me, but I think he might be very good. I heard the transition will be from his "persona" to himself, and I think that's a good move, but I don't know what the public will accept from him after several years of playing "Stephen Colbert". My impression has been, when he's just talking in interviews and on talk shows that he's a lot more sympathetic and interesting than the guy he plays on his own show.

I agree they probably thought Jon Stewart was too costly, assuming it's required for his salary to rise. But I would've thought Craig Ferguson had a contract that would almost guarantee him the slot. Maybe he didn't want it?
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 11th, 2014 at 10:51:48 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: beachbumbabs
But I would've thought Craig Ferguson had a contract that would almost guarantee him the slot. Maybe he didn't want it?

Craig did negotiate a $5 or $8 million lump sum payment if he was not offered Letterman's position when Letterman retired. He openly let it be known that he craved the position. So Les Moonves made a costly decision to pay off Craig and hire Stephen Colbert. It is very likely that they will not renew Craig Ferguson's contract after it expires this year.

So the payout to Craig will partly be offset by the new hire, who will probably be considerably cheaper. I believe Conan O'Brien started at $1 million per year when he replaced Letterman in 1993. Prior to that his only exposure to being on - camera was 21 episodes of Saturday Night Live as a bit performer. Almost all of his experience was as a writer.

I guess that all these hosts change their format to accommodate the earlier time slot. Letterman was different when he had the late hour. Clearly Chelsea Handler would have to clean up her act to take the Letterman position. But Chelsea Handler built her entire reputation on being offensive.

Bottom line, is that the executives were simply afraid that Craig Ferguson may never have a broad following.

Of course, there is the perennial speculation that Fox may try and revive a late night show. Since they usually air TMZ at 11:00 they have the option of starting earlier.
April 11th, 2014 at 12:48:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
I was genuinely surprised; Colbert had not occurred to me, but I think he might be very good. I heard the transition will be from his "persona" to himself, and I think that's a good move, but I don't know what the public will accept from him after several years of playing "Stephen Colbert". My impression has been, when he's just talking in interviews and on talk shows that he's a lot more sympathetic and interesting than the guy he plays on his own show.

I agree they probably thought Jon Stewart was too costly, assuming it's required for his salary to rise. But I would've thought Craig Ferguson had a contract that would almost guarantee him the slot. Maybe he didn't want it?

It could be weird to see as once a persona is developed the "act" is the person in many ways. Limbaugh once had some minor complaints when he did This Week years and years back. He replied that when you go on someone else's show you bend to their format. When you see Limbaugh, Stern, McMahon, or Leykis to name a few on someone else's show you often see a different person. But Colbert will still be on his own show, so it will not be the same.

I doubt I will notice as the last time I watched a Leno Show was when is saw on taped. Last time I saw an entire Letterman was never.
The President is a fink.
April 11th, 2014 at 8:12:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I'm very happy for Colbert and I think it's a great choice. The real Colbert is indeed a very thoughtful, intelligent, and kind man - I can't wait for him to drop the act.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 11th, 2014 at 9:32:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I don't like Colbert, he's not mainstream funny like
Letterman. He's niche funny, a small niche. He might
last 6 weeks. Totally different kinds of audiences.
Colbert wears thin very fast, he's scripted funny.
Letterman is off the cuff funny, it's his trademark.
He see's all sides of something at once and picks
the funniest one.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 11th, 2014 at 9:53:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
He might last 6 weeks.

Letterman did 90 episodes of an early show in 1980, and made no connection. Fred Silverman paid him $20,000 per week deal to sit out a year and guest-host a few times on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. On November 9, 1981, NBC and Carson's production company Carson Productions and announced the creation of Late Night with David Letterman, set to premiere in early 1982 in the 12:30 a.m. time slot Monday through Thursday. Tomorrow Coast to Coast program hosted by Tom Snyder ended on December 17, 1981 and Letterman took over next February.

First show 1 February 1982

Many people despised Conan when he took over for Letterman.

It is a risky business.
April 11th, 2014 at 11:32:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I still don't like Conan, his self deprecating humor
wears very thin very fast. Look how Letterman let
Murray run with it in the very first show. Colbert
has a giant ego and he would never have done
that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 12th, 2014 at 1:51:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Outside of NBC Tonight, there really aren't a lot of viewers. You have to figure that if each show can produce one to three segments that can be watched on a computer with a commercial, that has to make the revenue per show increase significantly.

SEASON TO DATE (SINCE FEB. 17, “LIVE PLUS SAME DAY”)
11:35 p.m.-12:35 a.m. ET
NBC “Tonight,” 5.018 million viewers
CBS “Late Show,” 2.769 million viewers
ABC “Kimmel,” 2.643 million viewers

12:35-1:05 a.m. ET
ABC “Nightline,” 1.608 million viewers

12:35-1:35 a.m. ET
NBC “Late Night,” 2.024 million viewers
CBS “Late Late Show,” 1.345 million viewers

1:35-2:05 a.m. ET
NBC “Last Call,” 1.020 million viewers

SELECTED CABLE RESULTS, WEEK OF MARCH 31-APRIL 4
Comedy Central, 11-11:30 p.m. “The Daily Show,” 1.643 million
Comedy Central, 11:30 p.m.-midnight ET, “The Colbert Report,” 1.356 million
TBS, 11 p.m.-midnight, “Conan,” 0.871 million
Adult Swim, 11:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. ET, 2.059 million viewers
Adult Swim, 12:30-1:30 a.m. ET, 1.452 million viewers
April 12th, 2014 at 6:50:03 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I haven't watched Letterman since 1984. HE wasn't too bad, but Paul Shaffer was waaaay too irritating. Made me want to shoot a hole in my TV. Shaffer ruined the whole show for me, regardless of how good a job Letterman did. Conan wasn't much better; his chin and hair were caricatures in themselves, and I always thought his sense of timing was off. I can't stand Fallon at all, but Kimmel is pretty good and spontaneously funny. I prefer Colbert to Jon Stewart any day of the week. I also think Stewart's timing is off. Why wasn't Craig Kilborn mentioned? I thought he did a great job on The Daily Show back in mid-90s. I watch Chelsea Handler fairly regularly, but agree she's not the right choice for Late Night. My gf hates her and buries herself in Facebook when Chelsea Lately comes on.

Colbert Report is too political for mainstream, but I think it's genuinely laugh-out-loud funny, moreso than Stewart's Daily Show. Colbert will have to change his personality to get the viewers. Heck, he might even call himself 'col-bert' rather than 'col-bear' so as to seem less hoity-toity.
Page 1 of 41234>