Some of these conclusions just make me sad

Page 3 of 4<1234>
April 29th, 2014 at 5:07:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I remember a school teacher reading a story that featured the line "N-word sitting on the safety valve" and he made some comment about it, I answered the question solely in terms of the pressure in the steam boiler, the purpose of the safety valve and the weight that was keeping it closed so as to keep the scalding steam inside to do work and win the race.

I totally ignored the author's terminology seeing no problem with its use due to time and place.
April 29th, 2014 at 5:21:33 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Brazil nuts used to be called N. word Toes. My antique grandma said it was just what they called the nuts back then. The terminology they just didn't think of when they said it she said. We're talking upstate ny.

By the way those trees are amazing. Cannot cut them, big as redwoods.
June 26th, 2014 at 12:49:03 PM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
Knew all about it? I doubt 95% of them knew anything about more than 10 miles from where they lived. Sorry to be un-PC, but Africa has always been by far the least advanced inhabited continent.

I was going to say something like that but you beat me to it.
June 27th, 2014 at 12:57:38 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Quote: Evenbob
This is Louis Prima doing Sing Sing Sing in the great
1993 movie Swing Kids, about Nazi Germany. I bet
Christian Bale looks at this now and wonders how
he ever had this much energy. The dance number
is 5min, but I'm sure it took them a week to film.
They had to be exhausted at the end of every day.

It's been a while since I saw this movie. What an incredibly complex shoot that must've been, beautifully edited. I'm sure you're right; it took at least a week. Thanks for pulling that out, as I really didn't appreciate this segment until you isolated it.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 27th, 2014 at 12:13:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It took a long time because movies use only
one camera to shoot everything. So every
different shot you see means they did the
whole thing over and over and over and
shot it from all kinds of angles with one
camera. The TV show MASH was shot with
one camera. Next time you see an episode,
count all the different angles in one scene
and realize all the actors had to do that scene
over and over to get all those shots. And do
it the same every time. It's grueling work, but
the results are astounding.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2014 at 10:39:29 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Lots of TV shows are single-camera.

I figure if you have a week to film a 22 minute episode, that should give enough time to film. M*A*S*H was great because of the way the single camera was used and the writing (in the early seasons at least).
August 6th, 2014 at 10:26:47 AM permalink
Greasyjohn
Speaking of racism, I believe it is better now (less racism) than decades ago. As we become a more educated homogeneous culture we become more alike. The quaintness of a small Dutch or Sherpa village is giving way to the internet, Skype and ease of travel. I'm not saying racism is gone. The wars in Serbia and Bosnia are dramatic proof of the festering violence that can explode.

There is, however, an interesting bit of racism I've noticed on TV. There are ads for companies that try to prevent identity theft. In these ads they'll show someone surreptitiously gaining someone's credit card information. I've seen several different ads with this same theme. In ALL of them the person stealing pin or credit card information is always European white.

There are also ads on TV for companies selling home burglar alarm systems. These ads always show an intruder trying to break into a house or fleeing from a house. The perps are always European white.

What can we conclude from these types of ads? We don't want to offend other non-European white races. But at the same time these ads give a false impression of reality and European whites just quietly accept the distortion.
August 6th, 2014 at 11:49:24 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Most ads are not trying to be noticed for anything other than what they are selling. (exceptions like Abercrombie & Fitch, and the weird Burger King Ads, and when the Super Bowl runs they try to stand out from others)

But anyway, unless they are trying to make it part of campaign (Dove's natural women) they don't want you to notice anything that is controversial.

I don't know if you can make an ad that doesn't upset someone, you can only make them to upset the fewest people.

BTW, I freakin' hate Cox cable commercial's and find that gimmick of the guy who is excited about all his channels annoying.. I guess few other people do, so they keep running it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 6th, 2014 at 11:50:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Greasyjohn

There is, however, an interesting bit of racism I've noticed on TV. There are ads for companies that try to prevent identity theft. In these ads they'll show someone surreptitiously gaining someone's credit card information. I've seen several different ads with this same theme. In ALL of them the person stealing pin or credit card information is always European white.

There are also ads on TV for companies selling home burglar alarm systems. These ads always show an intruder trying to break into a house or fleeing from a house. The perps are always European white.

What can we conclude from these types of ads? We don't want to offend other non-European white races. But at the same time these ads give a false impression of reality and European whites just quietly accept the distortion.

From the identity theft one we can conclude that the public does not understand that the majority of ID theft is by someone you know and not by a MAWG in a jogging suit going thru your trash.

This isn't just ads, it is our own government. In a "see something, say something" they show potential terrorists planting bombs, etc and they are always white despite reality being otherwise. The real reality is white people are not allowed to be offended, they will not be listened to. More reason why I say social upheaval is coming next decade. Know reality and prepare, let the sheep be sheep.
The President is a fink.
August 7th, 2014 at 7:56:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
From the identity theft one we can conclude that the public does not understand that the majority of ID theft is by someone you know and not by a MAWG in a jogging suit going thru your trash.

What would you do if you produced commercials?
Page 3 of 4<1234>