Buying a new car

Page 2 of 3<123>

Thread Rating:

April 30th, 2014 at 4:11:21 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: boymimbo

I freaking hate car negotiations. Why can't the dealership just say "this is our price, no screwing around".
So do I and most others. Walk in, give them a number. they give you a higher number. Say, "No, call me when you meet my offer." Walk out.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
April 30th, 2014 at 5:53:41 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
Wouldn't buy a new car under any circumstances.
Much rather a have a later model that's been
broken in.

To hell with new cars. I ain't paying all that depreciation when I can get one just as good for $8k less.

I don't even think I'm going to go late model anymore. I'm having a hard time finding the value. I actually just had this conversation 2 days ago. I want to go back to beaters. It's the only time I ever feel like I'm getting a deal, the only time my bank account breathes a sigh of relief.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 30th, 2014 at 6:29:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

I don't even think I'm going to go late model anymore. I'm having a hard time finding the value. I actually just had this conversation 2 days ago. I want to go back to beaters. It's the only time I ever feel like I'm getting a deal, the only time my bank account breathes a sigh of relief.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider "late model?"

As to beaters, can be good value there. Even better if you can get into a dealer auction and steal a deal. Drive it 5-6 months, sell it for what you paid, repeat.

I remember when if you bought new you were "rich." Everybody bought used. Most 2-car families had one "good" car for the wife and kids and dad drove something older into the ground. New is so nice but you pay so big for that feeling. If one buys new they need to keep the car forever. I bought a cheapo new last time, this summer she celebrates 9 years with me.
The President is a fink.
April 30th, 2014 at 6:46:00 AM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
Out of curiosity, what do you consider "late model?"

As to beaters, can be good value there. Even better if you can get into a dealer auction and steal a deal. Drive it 5-6 months, sell it for what you paid, repeat.

I remember when if you bought new you were "rich." Everybody bought used. Most 2-car families had one "good" car for the wife and kids and dad drove something older into the ground. New is so nice but you pay so big for that feeling. If one buys new they need to keep the car forever. I bought a cheapo new last time, this summer she celebrates 9 years with me.

Assuming the lease rate of 12k miles a year, anything with less than 48k miles, so less than 4 years old. I've owned beaters almost exclusively, and while I've had some interesting moments of "unavailability", they were all economically wise. It wasn't until I decided to "become an adult" and have a nice late model vehicle that things have taken a turn for the worse, financially.
April 30th, 2014 at 12:23:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The best place I've found to buy cars is the
auto auction. Look for a late model that has
a manual tranny and and no power windows.
These go for half of what they're worth,
nobody wants a clutch anymore. Always
did good there, I'll go back again.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 30th, 2014 at 4:54:34 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I agree with most of you about purchasing slightly used merchandise over new, and if it was my decision, I would have gone with a 2012 / 11 model year something. Hell I would keep driving my '08 Civic, but alas, 150,000 miles in, it's a beater that's going to my 17 year old daughter when she goes to school. I also agree with EB's approach about purchasing a car via auction. Or course, there is much research you have to do on the VIN of the car you are buying and sometimes it's difficult to know what you're getting so you are rolling the dice.

I'm done with manual transmission though. Having driven one for six years (my current car), I'm a bit tired of it. And power windows? What cars are sold today with a manual crank?

I agree also with AZ's approach to use the internets. Canada has *one* service that does that, called unhaggle where for $99, they will get you competing quotes from different dealers, but frankly, for the car that I bought, they have three participating dealers within two hours.

Honestly, I thought that I would have had a more pleasant experience, We arrived at the dealership at 3:30pm having test drove the car we drove and we left at 5:00pm with about 30 minutes in negotiation and one hour in financing, so it wasn't so bad.

I didn't consider the Passat because the options put me out of the price range. Quite honestly, I know I'm taking a bit of a risk with Altima with its CVT, but it's a very comfortable ride and theoretically has the bet mileage in class without going hybrid.
April 30th, 2014 at 6:42:01 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
One thing people outside the business don't get is that there is no advice that works for everyone. People do what makes them happy. The salesperson gets paid to facilitate that. The better the job, the sooner the customer says yes. The salesperson gets paid to produce good feelings, not sell cars. It all runs on feelings.

2.5 SL is the sweet spot for that car, all the good stuff without being married to the lower gas mileage and premium fuel of the 3.5 SL. I think they have the new CVT sorted out by now, but the problems delayed the Maxima a year. Nissan has quietly covered them for 10/100000, even though they are officially 5/60000. I'm on my 3rd consecutive Nissan, an Altima and two Maximas, and I love them.

I've been in used cars exclusively for 7 years, but for myself I.just like having a new car. I worked hard and I earned it. As I said, I lease. In 3 years I'll want another, and I get to have my money in the bank while Nissan gives me their money for practically nothing. New cars make me feel good, and the math works.

Enjoy your car, I know you will!
April 30th, 2014 at 6:56:27 PM permalink
Face
And power windows? What cars are sold today with a manual crank?

No power windows, no power locks, no power mirrors, no power sunroof, no CD player, no SatNav, no key fob... and no problems. Methinks there's a link ;)
April 30th, 2014 at 7:12:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
And power windows? What cars are sold today with a manual crank?

You have to order it stripped of everything,
saves a lot of money. I got a 4 year old Saturn
with 60,000 miles in 2001 for $1900 at the
auction because it had manual tranny, crank
windows, no air, no cruise, no nothing. Blue
Book was 6 or 7 I think. Did the same thing
a few years ago on a Chevy. Fewer and
fewer people know how to drive a stick and
they don't want to learn.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 1st, 2014 at 2:55:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mosca
I think they have the new CVT sorted out by now, but the problems delayed the Maxima a year.

I'd avoid a CVT. It is one of those things that is great in theory but when they put it in a car never quite lives up. With 8 and now 9 speed autos there will really be no need and I expect the CVT idea to fade away.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 3<123>