Toyota to leave California

May 2nd, 2014 at 3:30:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Toyota to leave California after 22+ years, finding a better climate in Texas. 3,000 jobs driven out of California, and you have to figure the anti-business attitude there has lots to do with it. Will California ever wake up?
The President is a fink.
May 2nd, 2014 at 3:46:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
3000 in a state that's already hurting badly. Going
to a state that going gangbusters already. I saw
this coming when I left Calif 30 years ago, I
predicted the Libs would run it into the ground.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 3rd, 2014 at 3:06:45 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
when I left Calif 30 years ago, I predicted the Libs would run it into the ground.
A prediction made each and every year but it hasn't happened yet. And areas that have filed for bankruptcy, have been Conservative. Even the "Back to the Land Hippies" still flock to California. Admitedly,its the drug industry that generates alot of the currency.
May 3rd, 2014 at 4:49:17 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: Fleastiff
A prediction made each and every year but it hasn't happened yet.
Huh? Do you keep up with the news in CA?? The entire state is in shambles.

Quote: Fleastiff
And areas that have filed for bankruptcy, have been Conservative.
Do you know what you're talking about here? Stockton, San Bernardino, Vallejo, and Mammoth Lakes are all Democratic cities. (And this doesn't take into account the fact that even Republicans in CA are liberal loons—like Schwarzenegger.)

http://www.homefacts.com/politics/California/San-Joaquin-County/Stockton.html
http://www.homefacts.com/politics/California/San-Bernardino-County/San-Bernardino.html
http://www.homefacts.com/politics/California/Solano-County/Vallejo.html
http://www.homefacts.com/politics/California/Mono-County/Mammoth-Lakes.html
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 3rd, 2014 at 5:16:46 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
California has always been the land of high taxes, but it gets away with it because it is really an awesome and gorgeous state and attracts the richest and most talented people. The state is 424 billion in debt, but that is less than 20% of GDP, better than Pennsylvania and 11 other states.

That said, California needs to get its act together and become more business friendly. I spent a week in Dallas in the fall last year and was surprised on how nice it was. That said, would I rather live in San Francisco or anywhere else in California. Absolutely. Will I? Nope. It's too damned expensive to live there.
May 3rd, 2014 at 5:36:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo
California has always been the land of high taxes, but it gets away with it because it is really an awesome and gorgeous state and attracts the richest and most talented people. The state is 424 billion in debt, but that is less than 20% of GDP, better than Pennsylvania and 11 other states.

Well, CA has historically attracted all kinds of people, rich and poor. Industrially it had a very diverse economy so you could do anything from aviation to entertainment. Geographically CA is more than one place. Most of the people are crowded near the coast but not to the mountains. This drives the price of land way up which drives the price of everything way up. When your land is so expensive you are forced to be more productive, which used to happen. Now, however, CA is super business unfriendly. Outfits like Toyota are starting to see this.

Quote:
That said, California needs to get its act together and become more business friendly. I spent a week in Dallas in the fall last year and was surprised on how nice it was. That said, would I rather live in San Francisco or anywhere else in California. Absolutely. Will I? Nope. It's too damned expensive to live there.

I've visited CA twice and could never picture living like they do there. SF did have the best restaurants I ever saw, but who wants to pass a gauntlet of bums asking for money when you go out to eat?
The President is a fink.
May 3rd, 2014 at 11:27:58 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I spend alot of time in California and love it there. However,if I was going to take up residence in the west, it would probably be Reno/Tahoe... save a ton of money of taxes, and Tahoe is just beautiful.
May 3rd, 2014 at 11:34:34 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
but who wants to pass a gauntlet of bums asking for money when you go out to eat?

That's why I left 30 years ago, the bums
were driving me nuts. They're weren't
called homeless then, no PC. They were
90% guys under 30, they were bums on
purpose. I came back to MI and didn't
see another one for 20 years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.