No votes (0%)
1 vote (50%)
1 vote (50%)

2 members have voted

May 8th, 2014 at 7:23:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
We've had this conversation, and I get it. The alpha-numeric naming is strictly a European thing, whereas all (?) American cars have names. I'm all for names. I love names. But make a damn name! Stop reviving and living off the past.

It seems to have spread from Europe to Japan to what passes for domestic luxury brands. I don't care where it came from, I do not like it.

Quote:
Why is that so hard? They can Dart all they want; it's just a freaking Neon, I don't care what they say. And it always will be. But if they called it... I dunno... a damn Osprey or something, then it would fit right in next to the Cruze's and the Fusion's and all would be well.

If they would have called it Neon there would have been a better connection. I'd rather they keep the names going longer. Instead they make a lemon of a Cavalier so they change the name, then they make a lemon of a Cobalt and change the name, how long will Cruze last?
The President is a fink.
May 8th, 2014 at 10:29:56 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman

If they would have called it Neon there would have been a better connection. I'd rather they keep the names going longer. Instead they make a lemon of a Cavalier so they change the name, then they make a lemon of a Cobalt and change the name, how long will Cruze last?

Not long, methinks. I know of one 33k mile Cruze that's in the shop right now with severe tranny issues. Yeah, it's a sample size of one, but whatever =p

I feel like there's something here, though. American cars are starting, on the outside, to have some character. I hate that the new Fusions bit the style of Aston Martin, but they do look sharp. And the Cruze, it doesn't look bad, despite that it's just a Cavalier/Cobalt. I saw a Volt just 3 days ago, and it caught my attention because of its looks. It's a start.

But I still feel like every piece of every car is made by the absolute lowest builder. I feel like our cars are still in "the disposable generation", where everything is made to be thrown out when it's worn instead of maintained and refurbished. "The Ikea Generation", maybe. I dunno. But you get what I'm trying to say.

We don't need BMW quality and tolerances and couldn't afford it if we did. But I feel there's going to be an upswell of "utilitarianists" who could care less about keeping up with The Joneses and just want a solid A to B'er. Not to get all Hitler in here, but I think there's now a place for a type of "People's Car". Maybe not one brand or one style, but maybe a subset of existing lines. Cars that are stripped of all the BS that has nothing to do with transportation, and have those resources sunk into utility. Higher quality steel for components, extra trips through the zinc baths and extra paint to resist the weather and rust, lower weight and better mpg by losing all the nonsense, etc. Something basic, but good. Stripped to the core of transportation. Something elementary.

"The all new Chevrolet Elemental. Owning a car just got easy."

(Trademark pending, all rights reserved) ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 8th, 2014 at 12:18:34 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Here is the thing, cars are disposable. While we care what they look like (more on that later) we really do not. Think back to the 1950s. 57 T-Bird, 57 Chevy, 59 Cadillac. These were not cars, they were freaking works of art. Look at the rear quarter-pannel on a 57 Chevy. Remember, it is a CHEVY, bottom of the GM line. Look at the fin and imagine how many times it had to be stamped to get that shape. All those bends are a different die and one more worker to handle the metal.

Then there was all that chrome. While they did overdo that, people once took pleasure in washing the car, waxing it, polishing the chrome, and cleaning the interior. It took all day Saturday, but you had a nice car at church the next day. It was what people did.

Now that is gone. "Styling" has long been changed to "design" You may like your Altima more than your Camry, but that debate is nowhere as big as Ford vs Chevy or trying to convince someone a Lincoln is better than a Cadillac.

As to the "solid A to Ber" sorry, but I do not see it. First, such people buy used to save money. Second, when this is tried the desingners fail to see what "A to Bers" really want. Saturn cars were designed this way, and hence had no character. So nobody cared.

I have fallen from motorhead to A to Ber, but I still want nice seats, A/C, cruise, modern radio (if you had a 1970s car you know what I mean) and power windows. My next vehicle will be a small SUV that has a tow package as well as the above. I do not want a Spark or Fit. I have an Accent now, it does the job efficiently but become a homeowner and you end up hauling stuff.

Still going to be a smaller one, still going to be well in my price range, still going to average high-20s at the pump. If I had less cash I'd look at another Accent, but it would still have to have the accessories listed (except tow.)

With all that is required on cars now-backup cameras will soon be mandatory--a stripper is not the deal it used to be.
The President is a fink.
May 9th, 2014 at 5:44:54 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: Face

"The all new Chevrolet Elemental.
There's already an "Element" out there so cue the Trademark infringement suit. Even before going to court, you really want to market a name that conjures up ugliness? And don't get me started on the Cube, hurts my eyes every time I get behind one on the highway.

Yes, I get that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but come on, guys...
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
May 9th, 2014 at 8:01:23 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: chickenman
An old Yiddish expression: Neither houses nor cars should be blue. And that goes double for Jeeps! :-)

I don't like blue in general, but c'mon. This is iconic.

Quote: chickenman
There's already an "Element" out there so cue the Trademark infringement suit. Even before going to court, you really want to market a name that conjures up ugliness? And don't get me started on the Cube, hurts my eyes every time I get behind one on the highway.

Yes, I get that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but come on, guys...

Yeah, I know. I even think my catch phrase might be partly stolen from VW. Damn advertising =p

I sort of agree on the Cube. I mean, the windows aren't even symmetrical. But nothing, nothing has taken the Ugly Crown from the Aztek. Compared to that, the Cube is downright slick.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 2 of 2<12