Gun Control

June 2nd, 2022 at 7:37:58 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: rquiredusername
Biden was Vice President for Sandy Hook and now President for Uvalde. Coincidence?

Columbine happened in the middle of that 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.
How is that possible, those weapons were banned?
smh
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
June 2nd, 2022 at 8:41:50 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: JCW09
smh

Omg! Another Democrat Bill Clinton was president at the time. Another coincidence. If I were a conspiracy theorist it would be almost like when fringe climate freaks like that Sonoma St professor set wildfires and then point out all the fires happening because of climate change.
June 3rd, 2022 at 8:43:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
smh

The devil is in the details.

Guns already in existence were grandfathered in. Manufactures increased production before the ban went into effect thereby muting the effect of decreased sales. Although replicas were banned, there was an "exact" match requirement. Shortening the stock excluded the weapon. Even though the ban only showed modest effect, when it ended their were 3 times increase in the shootings. Coincidence?

Also 2 of the guns of Klebold and Harris were already 30 years old. As you know, guns can have a long life if taken care of.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 3rd, 2022 at 11:38:00 AM permalink
JCW09
Quote: rxwine
Also 2 of the guns of Klebold and Harris were already 30 years old. As you know, guns can have a long life if taken care of.

I would argue the life of a gun is closer to 60-80 years if properly cared for.
So you'll agree that banning any weapons now is really a solution that will have an impact between 2082 & Next Century?
The US is not going to spend $40B in a gun buy back, so those 20M-30M semi-auto rifles aren't going away.
By the way, is this considered an "Assault Weapon/Weapon of War" Ruger Mini 14?
What about this Glock 17?
Both are semi-automatic firearms that can be easily reloaded.
Both also come with standard capacity magazines of 20 & 17 rounds respectively.
June 3rd, 2022 at 5:15:28 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I am actually not looking to prove you wrong, just trying to understand what you are proposing.
This Federal Licensing Standard, does it go beyond passing a NICS background check?
I think Dems will get bi-partisan support for universal background checks through NICS.
On all transactions which basically means force private sales thru an FFL, this is the law in some states already.
The FIx NIcs Act of 2017 was signed into law under Trump, force municipalities to report or face loss of federal money.
But Dems don't have the votes to ban semi-automatic rifles, they might get age raised to 21.
SCOTUS is going to rule that CA's magazine restrictions are un-Constitutional this summer, so that issue is a loser.
Get the Universal Background checks and raise the long gun age to 21 and then "take the win"!
Do you think Dems are smart enough to get that done?

I agree with almost all of that, and I don't think semi-automatic rifles should be banned (even if they politically could be -which they never could-). I mean semi-auto is a term that a lot of anti-gun people throw around, its basically every modern firearm (that is not a shotgun).... Are people supposed to go back to bolt action? Its my same issue with "assault rifles", what does that even mean?

I am also not against "large capacity" magazines, I don't agree that limits are a violation of rights, but its just another issue that ignores larger problems.

I generally agree with raising the age to all to 21. Though even this I don't know. You can join the Army at 17, and train endlessly with advanced weapons, but then be told you can't own a personal firearm? I don't know its not perfect, and there are definitely logical flaws. But, I guess you can say the same thing about alcohol....

My point with Federal Licensing which I also concede will never happen (at least in the near term), but in a dream world, would be a standard licensing pipeline which would have to be completed before buying any kind of gun, and would include a very thorough background check, reference checks, a training program, and a Federal Registry (that links to each purchase). This would make a consistent standard across state lines so that you know everyone owning a gun is at least somewhat competent and reasonable. And, you can add different classes of license that would require additional steps if you want to be able to do more (for example concealed carry, etc...)

I like standardization, and this issue highlights it perfectly, there are so many States with different requirements that a Federal Licensing program would solve.
June 3rd, 2022 at 5:40:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:

I generally agree with raising the age to all to 21. Though even this I don't know. You can join the Army at 17, and train endlessly with advanced weapons, but then be told you can't own a personal firearm? I don't know its not perfect, and there are definitely logical flaws. But, I guess you can say the same thing about alcohol....

Yes, but we recognize that service members are in a special category for possible ultimate sacrifice, as it’s why we give them veteran benefits. Also technically They can work 24 hours seven days a week. That’s not a regular job.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 4th, 2022 at 4:32:34 AM permalink
rxwine
I would argue the life of a gun is closer to 60-80 years if properly cared for.
So you'll agree that banning any weapons now is really a solution that will have an impact between 2082 & Next Century?
The US is not going to spend $40B in a gun buy back, so those 20M-30M semi-auto rifles aren't going away.
By the way, is this considered an "Assault Weapon/Weapon of War" Ruger Mini 14?
What about this Glock 17?
Both are semi-automatic firearms that can be easily reloaded.
Both also come with standard capacity magazines of 20 & 17 rounds respectively.

You know what I really favor? People active within the gun selling, hobbyist, etc, community getting their own house in order.

You ever been involved in something where you all enjoy something, but you start to see that the irresponsible actions of a few are going to F--- it up for everyone. The wink wink nod nod casual behavior, we're going to keep doing whatever we want regardless of more people outside that community complaining.

You could do nothing and keep on keepin' on, and maybe you'll never lose enough support. I can't say. But that's the way I see it.
June 4th, 2022 at 11:07:48 AM permalink
JCW09
All the majority of Americans will vote for is:

1) Mandate every transaction goes through an FFL with a Background Check. Prohibit a National Registry of Firearms.
2) Must be 21 to own any firearm, but parents are allowed to have kids possess guns on hunts.
3) Red Flag Notification provisions including the ability to prosecute/fine frivolous filers & rapid due process for objectors.

But doing all of those items, won't stop all evil people from getting a firearm.
You fight evil by combatting violence with stronger violence.
Good people have to stand up, draw and return fire.
Nothing stops an a$$hole faster than lead coming his direction.

So do the following:

A) Harden popular targets (Schools, Churches, etc.) with physical improvements & more firearm trained individuals onsite daily.
B) We need to promote responsible concealed carry by more Americans through training & nationwide CCW reciprocity.
C) Ban open carry in public. It's stupid and results in an aggressive environment. It scares people & guns get stolen all the time.

If that's your idea of self policing, I can get behind it.
June 5th, 2022 at 10:38:59 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Uvalde police are disgusting
Threatened a parent with arrest for talking to the media
She saved her kids when the police refused
https://www.yahoo.com/news/uvalde-mom-ran-school-save-025748850.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 5th, 2022 at 10:52:18 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Heads will roll...