Happy All Hallow's Eve!

Page 1 of 212>
October 31st, 2012 at 1:29:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Have a wonderful Halloween everyone and try to remember that it is a religious holiday meant to remember all the holy men and women who have died in our lives. Maybe say a little prayer of thanksgiving for the deceased members of your own family whose example and presence meant so much to you. Peace and God Bless!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 31st, 2012 at 1:35:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
it is a religious holiday meant to remember all the holy men and women

How do you recognize a holy person? Do they
have business cards, or can you just see that
they're holy right off the bat. Do they start off
conversations with "I'm holy, how are you."

Its confusing, as you can see.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 31st, 2012 at 1:37:54 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
I'll be celebrating by dealing cards. Wheeee!

I may give a prayer of thanksgiving if the tips are good.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
October 31st, 2012 at 1:42:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I can totally see dressing up inc ostumes, mildly blackmailing for candy, and holding parties ranging from mild to racy are a religious celebration.

So what's with the pumpkins?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 31st, 2012 at 2:15:22 PM permalink
DorothyGale
Threads: 1
Quote: Evenbob
How do you recognize a holy person?
The terminology "holy man" is used by some religions to maintain the power and special status of an elite class ... as a radical atheist, I completely reject the concept of "holy man" ... being a "holy man" is a good living for some, for others, it's a psychological imbalance ...

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!" -- Elpha
October 31st, 2012 at 2:45:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
EvenBob - There is a great story from seminary days about the rector putting up a sign on the bulletin board for a new contest to see who is the holiest. There was a sign up sheet if you were interested in the joining the contest. After lots of people had eagerly signed up excitied to show their holiness a new note went up on the bulletin board the next day, it said "The following people are now excluded from the 'Who is the holiest?' contest:" What followed was a list of everyone who signed up the day before. The moral - holiness is not something you prove or show off to others.

So back to your question, "how do you recognize a holy person?" I think you just do. This might be why there are so many saints because many people see holiness in different ways. For some holiness is a foreign term or one they do not like, so in that case you can look for people who inspire and strengthen you. As an example, for an atheist one might see Saint Edith Stein's story as holy or inspiring.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 31st, 2012 at 3:02:29 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
Poor FrGamble. Best of intentions, worst of results.

Personally, I don't consider myself religious, or even very spiritual, and yet... I just don't feel compelled to dogpile this guy every time he makes a religious statement.

FWIW, I liked the story about the 'Who is holiest' contest. It reminds me of (I think...) Numbers 12:3, where Moses, the supposed author of Numbers declares that Moses is the humblest man on earth. Quite a statement from the humblest man. :)
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
October 31st, 2012 at 4:37:23 PM permalink
johnnyq
This discussion reminds me of a discussion that was
held in RCIA class.

The question was something like this: What is the most
important sign or symbol of the church ?

The answer was the EXIT SIGN, because it is so
easy to come to church 1 hour per week (or once a
month or only at Easter and Chrismas, however
often). The HARD part is living your life for the next
6 days and 23 hours like a Christian.

My 2 cents;

Unfortunately, it seems like far too many church-goers
really have no idea, AND don't really want to think
about, WWJD.

Being a Christian means believing
that Jesus was the Son of God, but became Man
(sortof), Died, and was resurrected after 3 days,
as I understand it.

(FrG: Correct me if I am wrong on that point, please).

How many people really believe that, as opposed to
just thinking that what Jesus taught makes sense ?

So, Happy Halloween. Sorry if this got a bit too
philosophical. I'll go back to posts about
secular things now.
October 31st, 2012 at 5:27:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Ha I love it Johnnyq, thanks for sharing that. On the sign leaving our Church parking lot I just recently put up a sign that says, "Servant Entrance" to remind people that they are leaving Church to go and serve in the world.
October 31st, 2012 at 5:58:15 PM permalink
johnnyq
Good one on your part. Same concept.
Page 1 of 212>