GPS? Who Cares

Page 2 of 3<123>
May 28th, 2014 at 9:45:30 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I use a map. More often than not, that map now comes from the internet. I don't own a GPS myself.

One handy thing with the GPS is, that once you plan your route yourself from a map and your own intelligent decisions and program it into the GPS, you can have it alert you when your turns are coming up. So it can take the place of your co-driver/map-reader, and you don't have to fumble with the map yourself while driving, if you are driving alone and do that sort of thing without pulling over. That's assuming you need any of those methods, if the route is either too long or too complicated to memorize during your trip planning.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 28th, 2014 at 9:55:16 AM permalink
blount2000
Threads: 5
Quote: Dalex64
... you can have it alert you when your turns are coming up.

I find it useful for letting me know whether an upcoming exit is going to be on the left or right side of the interstate. Especially when traffic is very crowded and I am driving in unfamiliar territory.

I've been bitten in the past assuming an exit will be on the right (which is what I consider normal) only to find out too late that it is actually 4 lanes over on the left. Some places seem to have plenty of signage in advance indicating which lanes will exit, but some places don't.
May 28th, 2014 at 2:49:09 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I would think they are more useful when you are unfamiliar with an area. Going where you already are familiar would be stupid using them.
May 29th, 2014 at 8:41:20 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
It amazes me how often my GPS doesn't work because it can't find a sattelite, but my Google Maps app if fine - using just the cellular network.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
May 29th, 2014 at 5:51:59 PM permalink
boymimbo
My GPS in my new car comes with traffic as well so it tells
me when there is an accident or slowdown and offers
me a detour.

I program in addresses in case my wife has to pick
my daughter up somewhere.

I use it as a map and take my own route, and turned
off the voice about one day after I bought the car.
May 29th, 2014 at 5:56:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: boymimbo
turned
off the voice about one day after I bought the car.

The voice is what drove me nuts.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 29th, 2014 at 6:06:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
The voice is what drove me nuts.

Too bad they stopped making the one with the voice of KITT.
The President is a fink.
May 29th, 2014 at 6:28:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Too bad they stopped making the one with the voice of KITT.

Nancy Sinatra has a great speaking voice.
I'd use a GPS that had her voice.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 30th, 2014 at 3:39:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Nancy Sinatra has a great speaking voice.
I'd use a GPS that had her voice.

I can see where one day soon you may be able to upload any voice you want, however Ms. Sinatra would be entitled to a fee for this service. After all, we are not communists.
The President is a fink.
May 30th, 2014 at 6:13:01 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
I can see where one day soon you may be able to upload any voice you want, however Ms. Sinatra would be entitled to a fee for this service. After all, we are not communists.

I thought you could already do that? The WarWagon's GPS voice is Darth Vader. Not James Earl, but close enough.

So annoying... but it must be possible to upload
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 2 of 3<123>